Nongrey Skin Condition Question

Guest SusanP

I volunteer at our local animal shelter. There is a hound/spaniel mix, aged 2 1/2, there with a skin condition that has made her bald on her entire chest, upper front legs, belly, bottom area under her tail, tops of her paws. Only the paws look slightly irritated. I didn't see her scratching or anything.

The shelter has her up for adoption and says it may be an allergy, tho I noticed they have her on antibiotics, and has a comment in her papers that an adopter must be aware that she will likely require continued medical care for the condition. I'm pretty much assuming they've ruled out anything contagious (this is a good shelter).

I'm asking because I was very taken with this girl's greyhound-like demeanor. I always thought I'd stick only with greyhounds, but... What I'm a bit worried about is affording vet bills for something really gnarly. Would also want to be very sure it isn't something my 3 hounds could get. Does anybody have any insight into skin conditions like this? How many things out there could it be?

I'm trying not to let my heart overwhelm my head, here...

She came into the shelter on 9/1 as a stray. Since there is no sign of irritation or redness, crustiness on her body, I'm wondering about hormonal causes--are there blood tests for more than thyroid type issues?

If she has a hormonal problem that is affecting her health in other ways, perhaps that's why she's so calm and gentle? She doesn't seem tired or ill, only very gentle.

Edited by SusanP

I think it's so nice that you're interested in this girl. Blood work can check more than thyroid issues and the scrapings mentioned above might help rule out some things, too. Hope the antibiotics help her, and wishing her the best -

It sounds like demodex. Unlike sarcoptic mange, demodectic mange isn't really itchy, though dogs can develop sores and infected hair follicles. Your description of her reminds me of Jim - when we first saw him, he had a 'tidemark' of baldness. He had already started treatment, so some of the hair was beginning to grow in, very fine and fuzzy, but he was pretty much bald from his toes all up his legs, all the way under his belly, up the underside of his neck, and halfway up his flanks.

It could be other things, but alarm bells would be ringing for me, especially if there is any baldness or redness around the muzzle and/or eyes, or on the margins of the ears. I would certainly get a skin scrape done.

If it is demodex and you decide to take her on, be aware that it is an immune-mediated condition and she will likely have a compromised immune system - for life. This means a little more care - she can't have steroids for instance, or chemo, without suppressing her immune system and risking a flare up of the mange. Apart from that, she may have relapses under stress. Jim had to be treated again, a couple of years later, but then he was fine for the rest of his life. :)

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

No sign of any trouble around her muzzle, eyes or ears. How is demodex diagnosed? I mean, I'm not sure how far a city shelter will go toward diagnosis pre-adoption. I guess I'd better talk to them about her...

Skin scraping, as Burpdog says. It's a parasite which lives in the hair follicles. Most dogs carry it, but it only causes problems in dogs with immune system problems. The skin scrape wouldn't cost that much, but the treatment is lengthy.

IMHO they really should know for sure before they adopt her out. Jim came from a generic animal shelter and they ALWAYS did skin scrapes and started treatment before even they put them up for adoption. And they wouldn't let them go out until the course of treatment was done - we had to wait about eight weeks to bring Jim home.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Demodex and other skin issue that come about due to stress also tend to flare up when a bitch comes in season or whelps a litter. Having her spayed can help, as she won't be coming in season any more. I've seen lots of demodex flare-ups in bitches in season.

Definately do a skin scrape... they may be able to do it at the shelter, if they have a microscope there (if they do any fecal floats, then they have a microscope). It costs next to nothing. Treatment is also inexpensive, though labor intensive and stinky, if it's demodex (lime-sulfer dips). If it's allergies, that's much more of a gray area... you could get lucky and hit on the trigger right away, or it could take lots of allergy tests, trial/error and meds to figure out what works. There's no way to predict. For a lot of dogs, just getting rid of fleas and other assorted hangers-on makes a world of difference.

Lynn

Edited by LynnM

Demodex was my first thought also and it is not contagious. A skin scraping should done. If you are going to adopt this girly then I would go ahead and have a comprehensive blood panel done, that way you will have a baseline.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Thanks, everyone. I'll talk to the director and find out more about what has and can be done for diagnosis. Then I have to work on DH...He had extreme reservations yesterday, but...

Guest Tenderhearts

I don't have any advice to add other than what others have said in getting a skin scraping done for a definite diagnosis. I did get a lump in my throat reading your post, and God bless you for caring about that girl! :grouphug :grouphug

Guest taylorsmom

I agree with the skin scraping recommendations, I thought of demodex immediately too. Also, there are ways to build the dog's immune system, that is good to know as well. Good supplements, a good healthy diet and loving environment go a LONG way towards building up immune system, as long as there is no other major illness going on. Homeopathy and other alternative medicine methods offer other excellent ways to do this, as well.

Bless your heart for wanting to help this poor stray girlie!