Seizures

Guest spinround

Guest spinround

We have a dog who came into our program with a seizure disorder. In his foster home he has had two seizures, approximately six weeks apart. The foster family are troopers but after the second seizure last night they are re-evaluating their ability to care for this dog. Does anyone have experience with this issue that they can share or know any good online resources we can pass along? Thanks :)

Guest Winterwish

There are a few very experienced Gter's with this health issue in their greys and I'm sure you'll get some excellant suggestions.

I bet he's a real sweetie and I hope he can find a medication that stabilizes him soon.

Thank you for helping him. :)

If he's already on phenobarbital, have they had his levels checked? He may not be on high enough dose. If he's on a good amount they can add Potassium Bromide along with the Phenobarbital to try and control them. Keep in mind the Potassium Bromide will take about 4 weeks to reach a level to control seizures.

A couple of helpful hints for this family. When he's coming out of the seizure, cool him down, take him outside or put a cool cloth on him and give him some all natural vanilla ice cream. His temperature rises sharply during a seizure and his blood sugar drops dramatically.

You can let them know that during a seizure this pup is in no pain. His brain is misfiring as such a rate that it shuts down his senses, he can't see, hear, taste or smell anything so he's not capable of feeling any pain. If he's stumbling about afterwards that's perfectly normal.

Here is a great website to tell them everything they need to know.

http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels.com/site_map.htm

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest spinround

Oh Jilly thank you that is exactly what we need! His foster family had been considering chipping with him but the stress of watching him go through the seizures is very hard. He actually went into the vet last week for his blood-examination and his level came back greyt. They were so optimistic at the beginning of the weekend only to have the problem last night that set them back.

If his foster family has other dogs it is safest to crate him any time they are gone & at night. I have 2 seizure fosters now & this is what I do. Some dogs will attack a dog that is seizing while others wont so it's just safer to crate. Noel's seizures are related to her being a diabetic so I keep honey & Nutri-cal on hand to bring her out quickly, the other girl is 6 & we had to increase her dose just recently but she's doing fine now. It is hard to watch but these dogs are still very loving & I won't give up on them. I had a Sheltie/Spitz for 20+ years that had seizures but hers were never as violent as these 2 girls.

Has the vet considered TBD's? My heartgirl Molly had two seizures prior to her diagnosis of ehrlichia, after she was treated she never had another seizure.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg