Prednisone Warning

Guest JILLBROWN

Guest JILLBROWN

My 14-year-old boy Jasper was diagnosed with LSS a few months ago, so the vet started him on pred. I've used it on other greys and had wonderful results. Anyway, after 2 months of 5 mg twice daily, he had lost 6 pounds, his bony spine protruded and he looked awful. I read what other people said about pred on Greytalk and decided to wean Jasper off the drug. Within a week, he's gained the weight back and he looks great! Even my dogsitter noticed the difference. My conclusion is that some greys just don't tolerate prednisone.

Each dog reacts differently to meds so it makes sense to me. I have one on anti seizure meds at such a high dose it would probably kill another dog but he tolerates it very well.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest chigal950

I am glad you were able to identify the problem with the medication and your boy bounced back.

We had the same with a heart medication where she went downhill so fast we thought she was going to fail soon - cut back on the meds and she bounced back in a few days.

I am glad that Jasper did not have problems getting off prednisone. It is important to always discuss weaning off prednisone with the vet first. Coming off too quickly can be fatal. I took care of several people in the hospital who ended up on life support because they thought they could wean themselves off according to their schedule instead of their doctor's and pharmacist's.

Drake - Fortified Power x Cajun Oriel

Janney - Ronco x Sol Happy

Waiting at the bridge: Sirocco - (Reko Sirocco) - Trojan Episode x Reko Princess; Nikki - (MPS Sharai) - Devilish Episode x MPS Daisy Queen;
Yukon - (Yak Back) - Epic Prince x Barts Cinnamon

We had a different bad reaction with our non-grey, but I agree that the same medication can react differently. It is frustrating. I'm glad you figured it out. Kiss your sweet senior for us. Hopefully the vet has found something else that will help?

Edited by fritofeet

Guest greytmonty

Monty developed iatrogenic Cushings from steroids :angryfire but we have to slowly wean him due to the dangers of sudden withdrawal.Good luck and I hope all is well.

Yup, just like all meds - some aren't right for everyone. Prednisone is a very harsh drug but it's a life saver in many cases.

Remembering the games we used to play: Games We Used to Play: A Hop, Skip and Jump Down Memory Lane

Oscar (Answer to Chevy): 8/23/02-8/13/07 & Dee (Cee Bar Denise): 12/23/98-8/28/08.

Order your own copy of Oscar's Diaries: Life as a Retired Greyhound