Dermatitis Woes -- Help Needed

Guest IGmom4now

Guest IGmom4now

Presto has been with me for almost eight weeks - yeah! He seems healthy in every way except for a place on his right shoulder he keeps scratching at -- really the whole shoulder area, base of his neck, around his collar. The skin seems flaky there and he's been scratching it to red. When I took him in for his wellness visit, the vet said it was dermatitis. He suggested putting panalog on it, and maybe giving Presto some benedryl for the itching.

OK, well it's not going away and he's still scratching the area with his back foot. I've tried the panalog, neosporin, tea tree oil (antifungal), witch hazel...I haven't tried the benedryl because I forgot the dose he suggested and I wanted to fix the cause.

It could be dietary, yes? But why that one area only? He gets Eagle Pack Chicken, with add-ins: brown rice, yogurt, pumpkin, Grizzly Salmon Oil, slow-cooked chicken with veggies. I've considered adding nutritional yeast because it's high in B vits and good for skin and coat.

I notice he's shedding a lot more lately, too. A lot more. Maybe he's growing a new coat? His coat looks good for a recent adoptee -- shiny dark brindle, no bald patches.

Ideas on a cure? Thanks in advance.

Guest DeweytheGreyt

This sounds a lot like what was going on with my Fallon. We had a skin scraping and biopsy done. The biopsy showed folliculitus (infection of the hair follicle) and forunculosous (rupturing of the hair follicles) as well as a yeast infection of the area from him licking it. Our derm vet also thought he was low thyroid.

We finally got the area cleaned up after about 9 months of antibiotics, antifungal, thyroid meds and Malaseb shampoo. I wish you the best, skin issues are NOT fun.

Fallon's Story

Edited by DeweytheGreyt

Guest IGmom4now
Is the area where Frontline is put or vaccinations were done?

No, it's really on the side of the blade, not the withers. At first I thought his collar and tags were bothering him.

Could it be stress related, by chance? I'm a teacher who has just gone back to work. He doesn't have to spend huge amounts of time alone (there are other dogs and a room mate who helps with care and walks), but I'm away from home most of the day.

This sounds a lot like what was going on with my Fallon. We had a skin scraping and biopsy done. The biopsy showed folliculitus (infection of the hair follicle) and forunculosous (rupturing of the hair follicles) as well as a yeast infection of the area from him licking it. Our derm vet also thought he was low thyroid.

We finally got the area cleaned up after about 9 months of antibiotics, antifungal, thyroid meds and Malaseb shampoo. I wish you the best, skin issues are NOT fun.

Fallon's Story

Wow, what an ordeal you had! No I don't think that's it. Presto skin just looks a little dry and flaky. It just red (blood) where he's obviously scratched repeatedly. He still has fur there, just a bit thinner from the scratching.

He also had bad dandruff when he came home. It went away in about a week with some good nutrition and some brushing..

Guest IGmom4now
My second grey, Jesse, had a round spot on her chest the size of a baseball. As long as I gave her 400IU of vitamin E a day, it would stay cleared up.

How did you administer the E? I take E myself - those soft gel caps. Hide one in some PB, or maybe get some oil? My feeling is that he is trying to regain some nutritional balance. He was at the kennel about 3 months before I got him. What do you think about it being triggered by stress? He is mister schedule around here...

I'd have scrapings done. Could be a little infection there, and you'd want antibiotics for that.

I'd also try the benadryl or something like Genesys spray. Sometimes the source of initial irritation is gone, but they've picked at it so as to make it still itchy, so they scratch it more, etc.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest greytmonty

You also should try bathing your dog in a soothing dog shampoo such as one with oatmeal. If the vet finds infections use Chlorhexiderm 4% shampoo.

Try 25mg twice a day. Watch him after the first dose -- even that small a dose can make some dogs a little woozy, such that you wouldn't want him going up and down stairs by himself.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.