Bowed Tendon

One of my boys has a bowed tendon in his front leg. The x-rays show that the stopper is not involved, thank goodness, so this is just related to the tendon. I was hoping that some of the kennel owners or someone might have had this sport injury before and could offer some words of wisdom.

What type of rehab regimen was followed?

How long was the recovery?

What shape was the grey in after having this type of injury?

Any other advice and/or comments would be greytly appreciated!

Thank you very much!

Kelly and the boyz

Kelly and the boys

Andy (Full Details), Savage (SanTan SavageTry), Tag (C Ya Tag Heuer), Hamlet (Huntington's Monarch Hamlet),

and Cleopatra (Huntington's Cleopatra)

Never forgotten & Always in my heart, Shawn (Call Me Gone) 02/09/99 - 03/23/06

and Josh (Great Contender*) 01/11/98 - 11/29/07

6be773b747390028badb20f184e30be3.jpg

Miss Echo bowed a tendon a few months ago (April). It scared the heck outta me.

Here's a picture of Echo's:

DSC00198.jpg

For her, we iced it for a few minutes every evening and she was on anti-inflammatories for two weeks.

I noticed yesterday that the lump is completely gone and she's 100% back to normal :)

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Thank you! If you don't mind me asking, did she get this injury playing in the backyard?

Kelly and the boys

Andy (Full Details), Savage (SanTan SavageTry), Tag (C Ya Tag Heuer), Hamlet (Huntington's Monarch Hamlet),

and Cleopatra (Huntington's Cleopatra)

Never forgotten & Always in my heart, Shawn (Call Me Gone) 02/09/99 - 03/23/06

and Josh (Great Contender*) 01/11/98 - 11/29/07

6be773b747390028badb20f184e30be3.jpg

Joplin bowed his carpal tendon (IIRC, that's the name.... big one that runs from the stopper bone up to the muscles of the foreleg). He did it lure coursing on wet ground at age 8ish.

It did cause some pretty impressive swelling and bruising initially, but was never especially painful. Long and slow is the key to recovery as it is with most of these type of injuries. ALWAYS remember that tendons have completely crappy, inadequate blood supplies and this means that they take a long, long, long time to heal. I think it was probably 6 months before he was free running and 9 months before he chased a lure. Eventually, the bow and scar tissue in the are more or less disappeared. Now, at 12, he doesn't do much running, but you'd be hard pressed to know which leg it was unless I told you.

Lynn

Thank you! If you don't mind me asking, did she get this injury playing in the backyard?

Precisely! We let her out in the yard and she was running like a mad fool. In less than an hour, she started to limp heavily, putting barely any weight on it. After I checked her all over, I discovered the lump on her paw.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.