Osteo Vs. Arthritis

Guest broncsrox

Guest broncsrox

How does a hound get diagnosed with osteo? Is it through x-ray only? MRI?

I've got a couple seniors and would like a heads up and to know what to look for. Thanks!

Xray is usually the first step. There will be visible bone deterioration, as I understand.

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

I've got a couple seniors and would like a heads up and to know what to look for. Thanks!

Are either of them limping? If so, I would make a vet appointment.

Limps at my house do mean going to the vet for a complete exam and x-ray(s).

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest broncsrox

Are either of them limping? If so, I would make a vet appointment.

Limps at my house do mean going to the vet for a complete exam and x-ray(s).

No, they're not limping. My 7 year old, who is extra large/tall at over 100 lbs occasionally acts like his joints hurt after he's gotten up from laying down for awhile. My 10 year old seems perfectly agile but she sometimes yelps for no apparent reason.

No symptoms other then being a little creaky or sore I would put them on glucosamine and chondrotin. This is what my three take daily. I've used these products for several years. :)

Fresh Factors

Joint Health

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest broncsrox
No symptoms other then being a little creaky or sore I would put them on glucosamine and chondrotin. This is what my three take daily. I've used these products for several years. :)

Fresh Factors

Joint Health

They both seem like similar products. Why do both instead of one over the other? The Joint Health has both glucosomine and chondroitin in it

Guest Greensleeves

For arthritis, the vet will also do some mobility tests on the joints, to see if s/he can feel "creakiness" and abrasion in the joints. S/he'll take the dog's leg and gently move it about, while feeling around the joint with her/his other hand.

Our Ladygirl (6) is starting to lick her shoulders, so we took her in to be evaluated for arthritis. The vet didn't feel anything in her joints, so didn't think X-rays were warranted yet. We put her on Cosequin (glucosamine), with good results. The reason we suspected arthritis (vs something else) for LG is that she's very athletic--lots of jumping, more jumping, some hopping and leaping... you get the picture. ;) Given her history, we went with what seemed most likely.

Good luck!

(Limping in my house means an immediate trip to the vet for X-rays, too)

Guest doodlebug

One of our seniors at his senior check came back with arthritis in his shoulder (xray), maybe I should have another radiologist take a look just to make sure it is not osteo after reading this. Thanks!

Just a point--

"osteo" is simply short for "osteoarthritis," which is different from rheumatoid arthritis (a systemic disease that affects the entire body, not just the joints that I don't know if dogs even get). Osteoarthritis, in the most simply and basic and non-doctor terms is deterioration of the joints (can be wear and tear, injury related).

There is no condition called "osteo."

Susan--arthritis girl!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest TBSFlame
Xray is usually the first step. There will be visible bone deterioration, as I understand.

With Hawk you could clearly see the deterioration in the bone. It looks like lace. The vet will follow-up with a lung x-ray. It had already spread to Hawk's lung. He lived 2 months. :angry:

Just a point--

"osteo" is simply short for "osteoarthritis," which is different from rheumatoid arthritis (a systemic disease that affects the entire body, not just the joints that I don't know if dogs even get). Osteoarthritis, in the most simply and basic and non-doctor terms is deterioration of the joints (can be wear and tear, injury related).

There is no condition called "osteo."

Susan--arthritis girl!

I believe she means osteosarcoma-bone cancer. That is what we sometimes call it on GT. Bad, bad stuff.

I would tend to worry more about a limp or sudden pain than a general stiffness or soreness.

Lynn, not Pam...

Arthritis is a joint disease.

Osteosarcoma generally involves the long bones or shoulder somewhere along their length.

Chondrosarcoma is far more rare, but occurs from time to time... the only time I've seen it in a greyhound, it was in the rib cartilage.... ugly stuff.

Lynn

Pam

GPA-Tallahassee/Southeastern Greyhound Adoption

"Fate is unalterable only in the sense that given a cause, a certain result must follow, but no cause is inevitable in itself, and man can shape his world if he does not resign himself to ignorance." Pearl S. Buck