Illness...

Guest lauri

I'm just curious - how many of you have NEVER had to take their Greyhound to the vets due to illness?

*knock on wood* Miles has never been sick except for an occasional tummy grumble which leads to eating grass.

Miles was 8 years old in May and we've had him since he was 4.

Injuries...I can talk injuries, but never sick.

Just wondering the ratio.

And to all of you having to deal with your ill puppers you're in my thoughts even though I don't post much. :grouphug It's got to be horrible. Much like having your child sick, and I've been through that.

Louis is my "trauma visit" boy. He's never been treated for a sickness since the bone infection that was what brought him to me from the track.

Dislocated toe, broken leg, etc... yup... but he never gets sick!

Lynn

my heart grey, Devotion, had never been to the vet for an illness or injury (except for his check ups, teeth cleaning and just to say hi or to board) until we discovered he had osteo. Unfortunately, we only knew he had that for 9 days before he went to the bridge. He was stoic, and such a wonderful boy. 2 years and he still captures my heart strings every day.

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

You have been very fortunate with Miles having no illness. :)

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest broncsrox

I have 3 greys. I've had Frannie for 19 months. Never sick. One injury. I've had Boone for 7 months. Never sick, no injuries. And I've had Sandy for a mere 2 months. She's my senior at 10 but seems quite healthy, no injuries.

Yeah, **knock on wood**

Guest vahoundlover

Dolly, we knew something was going on and was in the process of elimination when she passed. Boss, bulged disc and infection in his spinal cord. Sheba bronchitis...she started coughing one evening after dinner she was at the vets the next day. The others have only been to the vet for yearly checkups and or a stitch or two.

We got Hobbes when he was approx. 2-1/2 years old. Except for injuries, he was never in the vet for illnesses until he turned 12. He had been one of our healthiest greyhounds - now (sigh!!!!) he is making up for lost time but is still a happy, chipper soul.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

We got Hobbes when he was approx. 2-1/2 years old. Except for injuries, he was never in the vet for illnesses until he turned 12. He had been one of our healthiest greyhounds - now (sigh!!!!) he is making up for lost time but is still a happy, chipper soul.

WOW!!!

That's a long healthy time for ANYONE!!! I guess we all get 'something' in our old age.

Scritches for Hobbes, and tell him to get better!

Guest DorianGreyhound

I hope I'm not jinxing myself, but I have a 10 year old dog I bought at eight weeks of age who never gets sick. He's a Whippet, though, and I do think they're healthier as a breed than most other breeds. My 12 year old Golden is in great form, too. None of my dogs have ever had a serious injury, either, except a broken leg once years ago. My Schnauzer made it 17 years and only went to the vet to get spayed at six months and for routine shots and so forth. She was never injured or sick in her entire life. The only dog I've had get really sick was my Greyhound who died of osteo, and even his bad days were only in the very end.

As a teenage child, I went out of town and my parents who were not very dog savvy accidentally let my dog get out and she got killed, and the phone company let all my dogs out one time some years ago and one got killed. I sued the phone company and won. Other than that, I have been very very lucky. I even lure course my hounds and routinely free run my dogs (at the dog park, etc) and feel extremely blessed no dog under my supervision has ever been really injured. All life is a risk, and I think the fitness level my dogs maintain is a lot of why they don't get hurt. I credit that fitness level as well as their diet for the lack of illness.

PS I muzzle my grey (current and my past ones too) when off leash running them and have been present for a few nasty greyfights at gatherings and mine were the only ones not involved... so I was the only one not having to chip in for a big vet bill... these are the same people who gave me hell about being "mean" and using muzzles! Now most of them use them too!

Edited by DorianGreyhound

Guest couchpotato

I can not recall any non self induced illness to our male Jazzy, he is 11 and we have had him for eight years now. There were several urinary tract infections over the years for our little girl and then the biggie which we now assume was some form of cancer. She got really sick a couple years ago, unexplained fluid build up in her chest. She recovered from that but very recently had a horrible relapse that she ultimately would not have recovered from this time. Don't really want to have to go through anything like that again...

Guest Greensleeves

I guess I'm not sure how to answer this, since most of what brought Whistler to the vet I wouldn't call either an "illness" or an "injury."

Infected anal glands? I guess an infection is technically an illness, but I wouldn't have said he was sick.

Pannus? It's an eye disease, but again, not "sick."

Lumbosacral stenosis--that's a degenerative spinal condition... not really a disease, but definitely not an injury, either.

Hypothyroidism... I guess that's the closest we'd ever get to truly something we can call an illness... except his symptoms (while dramatic) weren't life-altering, and didn't affect *him,* at all. So I can't honestly say he was ever "sick" from it.

Whistler wasn't ever sick--not in the way I think of (the way Flint, for instance, was really sick with his tooth abscess)--until he turned up with cancer 36 hours before his death. But he sure had his share of medical issues!

Edited by Greensleeves

Guest DorianGreyhound

I also think some of it is dog experience and vet working experience. I don't run to the vet for things a lot of people would, because I have the know how and the medications and equipment to handle a lot at home- for example UTIs, cuts/scrapes, stings, bites, eye infections, ear issues, anal glands, the Big D... I only have to go to the vet for things like broken bones or major illnesses.