Age-related Incontinence

Sebau, my mix, is now 13. She's always had the bladder of steel, able to hold it for long periods of time, until now (this has been a gradual change). She doesn't leak while sleeping, but she can't hold it as long anymore. She has just been to the vet, had a urinalysis, etc., and checked out ok on that front. Her max is about 6 hours. I don't mind getting up at night to let her out, (heck, I always have to get up to pee anyway, so I just let her out and head to the bathroom myself :lol ) The problem is that we are gone for about 10 hours a day with work. It's not her fault, she just can't hold it that long any more.

I know there are meds, but since she isn't 'leaking', and there are side effects, I'm a bit worried about meds at this point. I'm not sure it's warranted yet.

I've been trying to convince DH to put in a dog door, but he isn't big on the idea. Mainly his concern would be that someone would break in through the house that way. (they could just as easily break the window in the basement door and get in, or any of our near ground level windows, so I don't see why he's so worried about that). We're also in a small development in a semi-rural area, no dogwalkers, etc. around here, and most people work during the day.

Until we've come up with a permanent solution, I'm going to try pee pads. Any suggestions on how to train her that it's OK to go on the pee pads? Is there a brand you like best? Any other suggestions?

In vino veritas
Rachael with Rook, missing Sully, Sebau, and Diesel

No-- the neighbors that I'd trust are also gone at work all day, usually they get home around 6, about the same time I do. I have a 90 minute drive to and from work, so there's no way for me to "pop" home. I am hoping to get a job closer to home, but I'm currently under contract until June 2008.

I'm actually out of the house closer to 12-13 hours a day, but my husband's schedule is different than mine, so he gets home earlier, hence the dogs have to do about 9-10 hours. 10 is if the traffic is bad or he's running late, 9 is average. I would love to be able to stay home, or come home at lunch, but it isn't an option.

I would love a dog door-- I think she'd learn to use it very quickly. It's just convincing DH.

This past week I've left the sliding door partially open to allow access to the back yard (our gates are kept padlocked anyways) and that's worked for her. I'd like to teach her to use pads for when it's cold, or rainy (she can be stubborn about going out if it is raining :rolleyes: that's nothing new :lol ), when the door can't be left open. She'd actually probably rather go on the pad than have to walk on the dreaded, horrible WET GRASS when it rains. :rolleyes:

In vino veritas
Rachael with Rook, missing Sully, Sebau, and Diesel

Guest SillyDog

I think there's a company that makes dog doors with sensors that attached to a dog's collar. The door stays shut until the sensor recognizes it's signal and allows it to open.

Here's one company: http://www.fancypaws.com/eldogdo1.html

It keeps cats in, rodents and raccoons out and allows dogs wearing the sensor to come & go. If I ever got one, I think it'd get one like these for the same reason your husband doesn't like traditional dog doors.

When Nevada started having accidents (before she was diagnosed with Cushings Disease) she used a pee pad. I put the pads down over the spot where she had her accidents. Luckily, she always went for the same spot. I found that the reusable ones work best. I found them at Bed, Bath & Beyond and at Walmart. They are used for incontinent humans. I place an old towel over them to absorb more urine. Then I just wash them daily. I wash them with Odo-Ban. Training Nevada was easy, hope it is for you also...........Carol

Carol-Glendale, AZ

Trolley (Figsiza Trollyn)

Nevada 1992-2008...always in my heart