Deramaxx Vs. Previcox

Guest K9_Lady

Guest K9_Lady

My Belgian Malinois "Arco" (11 yrs old) has been on Adequan and aqua-puncture for a few years now and is doing wonderful with his Hip Dysplasia. But he was just x-rayed because of panting, pacing and acute pain and was diagnosed with a compressed cervical disc in the neck area and osteoarthritis in his whole right shoulder. He was on Deramaxx as needed prior to this so he never really got more then a few a month as I am cautious with any NSAID drugs because my old Shepherd years ago got very sick when taking Rymadyl. His Deramaxx was increased last week to 1 a day and after 3 days Arco had horrible diarrhea. I called the Vet but we are not sure if it was from the Deramaxx but she suggested switching him for safety sake to Previcox. I read it is suppose to be the best for dogs with gastrointestinal issues such as Arco but I am always hesitant when trying something new for him. He will also be starting electro-acupuncture for this problem. If you had any experiences I would love to hear them!

Thanks in advance to all!

Chancy is on Previcox. I asked for an alternative to Rimadyl and Deramax that might have less impact on her liver. She's been on it on & off as needed (more on than off since her surgery two weeks ago) for a month or so with no noticeable side effects. The ultimate test will be her next blood profile though... not sure how soon that will be.

Interestingly, (you may want to ask about this) my holistic vet one time prescribed Gabapentin for Chancy to ease her back pain. It's not approved for veterinary use yet, but many vets are trying it out. It an anticonvulsant that also eases nerve pain. I found that it did seem to help Chancy, and I would certainly consider trying it again.

Edited by ZoomDoggy

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Guest greytexplorer

10yrold Mandy has been on Prevy for several months now for her arthritis. half tab every day. I think it does a pretty good job of keeping her pain free. Good luck Arco. Hope it works for you. Pain sux.

The two meds work the same, have the same possible side effects, and the same general level of effectiveness against pain. One or the other may well give you a better combination of good pain control and no/few side effects. It all depends on the individual dog. The only real, across the board advantage of Previcox is its ease of dosage, which for the owners on this board (really, the creme de la creme of dog owners), is not an issue.

Lynn

Guest SillyDog
Chancy is on Previcox. I asked for an alternative to Rimadyl and Deramax that might have less impact on her liver. She's been on it on & off as needed (more on than off since her surgery two weeks ago) for a month or so with no noticeable side effects. The ultimate test will be her next blood profile though... not sure how soon that will be.

Interestingly, (you may want to ask about this) my holistic vet one time prescribed Gabapentin for Chancy to ease her back pain. It's not approved for veterinary use yet, but many vets are trying it out. It an anticonvulsant that also eases nerve pain. I found that it did seem to help Chancy, and I would certainly consider trying it again.

My grey is on something similar to Gabapentin called Adamantine for nerve pain. He's also on Metacam (liquid) and Tramadol. I'm taking him to an acupuncture vet this next Monday, as well. He's got arthritis all over (including his spine which is the reason for the neuroleptic painkiller) and I want a 2nd opinion about weather his chronic Ehrlichia is causing him pain right now. I will say that he's doing well with this combination, but it seems like a lot for one dog. He's still having a few episodes of panting or flinching that make me think he's still feeling a little bit of pain. But, for the most part, he's back to his perky self. So maybe it's a matter of trying or adding something new to the mix for Arco.

Good luck. I know how hard it is to see them be in pain!

Guest CaroleWithRunningDogs

And then there is the lone voice here of my dog having his kidneys start to shut down on Previcox, noticed an issue within 24 hours. I noticed my big boy becoming more lethargic and didn't think that was right so I cut back the dose until we could get in to see the vet again and then completely quit the medication. I did bother to read up on the medical trials and I saw that in fact some dogs did have death from it. And meanwhile everyone else I know did swimmingly on it - which goes to show you - every dog is different. Good luck. The need for pain meds scares me. :gh_face Carole

Guest SusanP

Simon was on first Rimadyl or Prevocox for the last 2 1/2 years of her life due to arthritis. She had no problems at all with either. The only reason we switched was to see if maybe the Previcox gave her a little more relief, but the results were about comparable.

My grey is on Previcox for arthritis. We do blood work a couple times a year to test liver and kidney functions. She does great on it. I have tried to get her off it with various supplements, no luck. I was told it is less damaging then Rimidyl and some of the others. The tabs break in half very easily for 1/2 tab dose.

The Girls

One of mine was on Previcox after major orthopedic surgery and she did very well. My vet also takes a holistic approach as well so she suggested using Milk Thistle in conjunction with the Previcox.

Milk thistle is supposed to aid in preserving liver function while on the anti inflammatories. I hope this helps.

blackgreys5.jpg

, Phoenix, Okie, Casey, and Ellie the Galga; with Aggie, Alexa, Bear,Cody, Gianni V., Missy B, Babette, Bernice, and BooBoo at the Bridge

Guest K9_Lady
One of mine was on Previcox after major orthopedic surgery and she did very well. My vet also takes a holistic approach as well so she suggested using Milk Thistle in conjunction with the Previcox.

Milk thistle is supposed to aid in preserving liver function while on the anti inflammatories. I hope this helps.

I'll mention the milk thistle to my Vet. thanks!