What Next Step For Ls?

Shadow took a tumble in the yard last October and hurt his back - bad! He was partially paralyzed at first, then eventually regained use of his back legs, although his hind end is much weaker. At the time we did muscle relaxants and painkillers (it was 100% a soft-tissue injury), along with acupuncture. I would say use of his hind end is at about 80% He can walk and run and runs up and down the stairs. He doesn't knuckle under, but he's not steady in the back end and it's hard for him to get up from laying down.

He started getting worse again so I took him to a chiropractor. The chiropractor said the problem is all in his LS area, but that there is nothing to be adjusted. He adjusted his neck (which helped some) and did some acupuncture as well.

Shadow has lost so much muscle tone. He doesn't seem to be in pain for the most part, just weak. But he can't walk as far or as often as he used to (walks are his all-time favorite thing). Sometimes he'll start to limp - that's his only sign of pain. It breaks my heart when we have to turn around and come home because walking is painful for him.

My question is, should I be pursuing further treatment at this point? Should I talk to my vet about getting shots in that area? I feel that might be the only course of treatment since the chiropractor said there was nothing to adjust in that area.

Shadow's 9 1/2 and I want to keep him healthy and active for as long as I can. I would love to hear your thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks!

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

Is he on supplements? Joint Health comes to mind. Continued acupuncture and perhaps chinese herbs.

Sorry, should have mentioned that. He's on Fresh Factors and Joint Health from Springtime supplements.

Do you have any particular herbs in mind? I love the person we see for acupuncture, but I'm not always sure about her supplement recommendations.

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)

Guest fastdogs

Water therapy might help build back muscle tone without putting excess stress on his joints/back, which should help with his strength. Increased strength should help him stand more easily.

Good luck.

Edited by fastdogs