Anesthesia For Dentals

A friend's greyhound had her dental recently. She was woozy upon pickup but fine the next day. The vet has greyhound experience and pre-surgical blood chemistries were done..

These are the meds used:

gas anesthesia

ketamine

diazapam

atrophine

torbugesic

Is this protocol OK?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Tenderhearts

Pretty typical. My vet usually induces with ketamine, and then uses iso (gas) once the dog is intubated.

You can mask a dog down with just the iso, but you have to be fast with the tube and get the iso back on. It depends on the dog, and my vet used that procedure with Lori Ann on the very last dental she had as she was so draggy from the ketamine.

Edited by Tenderhearts

Pretty typical. My vet usually induces with ketamine, and then uses iso (gas) once the dog is intubated.

You can mask a dog down with just the iso, but you have to be fast with the tube and get the iso back on. It depends on the dog, and my vet used that procedure with Lori Ann on the very last dental she had as she was so draggy from the ketamine.

I wouldn't recommend "masking" down a dog. It is more stressful for the dog as they fight it at the end. I know a lot of vets used to think it was the best protocol b/c there is no injectable to "wear off" and you only have the gas but what they found is that it is actually more dangerous and harder on the heart.

If you want a shorter acting anesthetic, substitute Propofol for the Ketamine/Valium. I still like to use a premedication b/c I think the dogs go down and wake up better than with gas alone or with Propofol alone followed by gas but that is just my own preference.

Bill

Lady

Bella and Sky at the bridge

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." -Anabele France

FeemanSiggy1.jpg