What Is This?

Guest LazyBones

Guest LazyBones

i just noticed this by accident a little while ago, and i have no idea what it is. her toe is all red and a little swollen. and just now, i noticed it is oozing a little.

here is a picture of it.

100_2104.jpg

any ideas?

Guest Winterwish

It's possibly or probably from needing her nails trimmed. That one nail looks especially long. When they get long like that it can cause a friction from rubbing on that little space. :)

Edited by Winterwish

It's possibly or probably from needing her nails trimmed. That one nail looks especially long. When they get long like that it can cause a friction from rubbing on that little space. :)

On the other hand .. JMHO but it looks to me as if that nail is no way the same shape as the others and probably wouldn't be good trimmed that short because it may cause MORE rubbing. If the side of the nail rubs and makes the toe sore, imagine what a short cut end would do at the same level. I have to look very carefully at Jack's nails with this in mind because his nails are all over the place. :P

It actually looks like a furunculosis or something to me. A skin infection, possibly fungal. It can be down to rubbing of the toes/nails, which damages the hair follicles and causes inflammation. Inflamed tissue is prone to infection.

Best get a vet to take a look. :)

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest Winterwish

Yep,always best to have the vet check it out.

Not sure if this happens to Gumby but when nails are a bit long,what can happen is - and it's easier to see this when the paw is in standing position,but what tends to happen is the joint of the toe kind of knocks,or rubs into the side of the other toe.

And if that happens kind of chronically,it can cause an issue like that pictured on the side of the toe,even if yes,it becomes fungally at some point.

So,it's the knuckle that may chronically tend to rub into the side of the other toe as a result of the nail possibly,or probably,being too long. This is best seen when standing.

Edited by Winterwish

Guest Winterwish

... If the side of the nail rubs and makes the toe sore, imagine what a short cut end would do at the same level...

Hard to tell from unless standing the effect I'm talking about,but it's not the nail itself rubbing that can cause a problem from what I've seen,but the friction from rubbing on that space due to a kind of bunching up of the toe that can happen as a result of the nail needing to be shortened.

is there an open wound anywhere? maybe stung by a bee or bitten by some type of bug? a foreign object (splinter or something) can definitely cause some redness and swelling...

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)