Tongue Blisters

Guest SillyDog

Guest SillyDog

Prancer has been having some issues lately. He's got a bacterial infection on two paws. He was prescribed Cephlaxin & Malaseb spray. The rash spots are better, but even with Pepcid 2X a day his appetite dwindled to non-existent at the end of last week, so I called our vet. She said to take him off the Cephlaxin & his Metacam (for pain). I can start the Metacam again tomorrow, she just wanted to give his stomach a break. Last night, for the first time in several days he ate ALL of his supper. And, I'm happy to report he ate all of his breakfast this am, too.

This afternoon I took both greys to Sonic for a plain ice cream bowl. While he was licking I noticed a red spot on his tongue. When we got home I looked (at much as I could) at his tongue and that red spot looks like a blister about the size of a pencil eraser. He's got a black spot on the other side of his tongue that's maybe 1/4 of the size of the red spot.

If it was on a human, my first guess would be the spots are from accidentally biting one's tongue. The black spot looks like a more healed blister and the red spot looks kind of like a new bite. But do dogs do that?

Plus, the timing of these spots is suspicious. Has anyone had a dog that developed mouth blisters from antibiotics (or anything else, for that matter)?

Edited by SillyDog

Guest SillyDog
Anything is possible. I would mention it to the vet in the morning before you start up the meds again.

Yeah, I was planning to. Thank goodness he got through enough (3 weeks) of the Cephlaxin that we don't have to finish the last few days.

I wish I'd taught him a command to stick his tongue out! :P:neener:P