Cougar Update

Guest TaraCoachCougar

Guest TaraCoachCougar

You'd think these dogs would learn how to show some gratitute. After stressing myself out all weekend and putting down $250 at the vet, what do you think I found when I returned home today? A dog who obviously spent his day carefully removing each and every one of his stitches! Oh he is a sneaky dog. This is the dog who as soon as he figures out we've stepped outside for a minute will countersurf or help himself to my pocketbook in search of some gum or a granola bar, etc.

He appears to be feeling fine, but I guess he decided the itchy stitches had to go. They were not able to get it all covered anyway, but now the whole spot is exposed again - probably about the size of a half dollar. I guess I'll just have to continue his antibiotics, keep an eye on it and hope for the best because there is no way we can watch him all day if we went back and had the stitches redone. Plus, I don't think I want him going back under again. It was way too hard on him.

Any suggestions for helping an open wound heal?

Thanks.

An Elizabethan collar would keep him from making it any worse.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest goofydog

Get Em had a toe amputated 2 weeks ago and the only thing that has kept hime from taking all of the stitches out is a muzzle. Since I don't need a stool guard(thanks God) I placed packing tape over the lower portion. I also poked a couple of holes in the tape so he can drink and i will drain. Since he is adamant about messing with the toe, bandaged or not, the muzzle is on 24/7 except when being fed. Going tomorrow to get the balance of stiches removed.

Glad Cougar is on the mend and hope this will work for you.

Guest Tenderhearts

Water therapy, several times a day.

I had two dogs with wounds about that size a few years back when a fight broke out while I was passing out treats. Each was on the front leg.

Each dog went into the tub (you could also do it outside with a garden hose this time of year) and I ran water over the wound for 5-10 minutes. Then gently pat dry. I also have a spray called Granulex that I used which helped the wounds to close up.

Guest argolola

I was wondering about Cougar this morning. Sorry about the stitches. They are so smart, though, aren't they? The E-collar will work, but it's very depressing for them. Lola just had one for 2 weeks and it was pitiful.

Oh poor Cougar! When Fudgie had a toe amputated a few years back he was pulling off the bandage. I eventually put a really long athletic sock on over the bandage and vet wrapped it up under his armpit. I then gave him fresh bones from the butcher to keep him busy, busy, busy (also frozen Kongs filled with yogurt and sealed with peanut butter helped too). He eventually healed just fine, but it was really stressful trying to keep him away from that wound. I also put comforters ontop of their beds cause they both liked to nest, so he'd settle in and I'd manipulate a comforter around that foot so it would be difficult for him to get to it, and he was such a lazy thing :P that he wouldn't try too hard :lol:wub: Miss that old man.

Please give Coug kisses from us!

Edited by DianeFG

Diane

4463Fudgie_and_Goods_draft_2_sharpened_small.jpg

Fudgie 2/27/96 - 8/14/05 and Goods 2/27/96 - 3/12/08 ~~Together again~~

Guest TaraCoachCougar

DH took Cougs to the good vet Friday to have him looked over. He flushed it and put something on it (remember DH went, not me) and wrapped it really well. He found something that has prevented Cougar from unwrapped it. Not sure what it is but it is yellow colored. We are to leave the wrap on and have him back down to look at it again on Monday or Tuesday. He changed his antibiotic to Previcox and put him on Clavamox. He is feeling really well. We went to the beach for the weekend and our in-home dog sitter said he did wonderful.

Thanks for the all the good thoughts. The vet said the ever-so-slight swelling was normal and it was doing what it should be doing.

Tara

Guest nerak254

Jessica did that once. She decided to take a woodchuck on and he won. When we saw the stitches were out, we had to do them again because of the kind of wound she had. Got out into the parking lot with the lampshade at which point she decided she was a bucking bronco and ripped the stitches out. Back in we went and stitches again. She wore a turtleneck for several weeks with the bottom pinned up and it solved the problem.