Advice Needed For Therapaws And Sore "ankles"

Guest Bodie

Guest Bodie

Bodie has slowly been improving over the last week since going on heavy duty meds for his staph infection. He has stopped crying and has perked up quite a bit, so we are going to take him along to Grapehounds with the thought that interacting with other greyhounds will really lift his spirits.

However, I have two problems:

1. He still doesn't want to use his right front foot and after an examination, I noticed he has two "hard" areas on two of his pads. These ressemble, but aren't, corns. When I press on them, he withdraws his foot as if it hurts. Anyone know of anything I can use to soften these areas? I have a call in to the derm/vet for his recommendation.

2. I want Bodie to wear his Therapaws on his two worst feet that are not completely healed. Unfortunately, the infection goes up his "ankles" where the Therapaws fasten and that irritates the sore areas and makes them raw. I thought of two possible solutions. One is to wrap his ankles in gauze followed by the stretch surgical tape vets use for splints, to act as a buffer against the Therapaw. The other idea is to buy a thin pair of toddler socks and use the tape to hold them up under the boot. However, I'm not quite sure if the sock on his foot and his Therapaw will throw off his sense of balance, since dogs feel their way with their feet. Also, what do I do with the heel of the sock to keep it from rubbing? Athletic tube socks are out - they are way too thick to get the boot fastened properly. Has anyone had a similar problem? How did you solve it? Anyone have any good ideas?

Rhonda

I think I'd just wait until my pup was fully healed before taking him anywhere where he'll have to walk a lot. I wouldn't want to risk delaying healing or causing him any unnecessary discomfort.

That said, Pumpkin has corns on her front feet and I've used toddler socks on her when she had to wear something on her foot for more than 20 minutes or so (we have Therapaws but they start to irritate her knuckles after a little while). I get the kind that have thick padding on the bottom. There are also kinds that have not only the thick padding but a non-skid coating on the bottom as well. Those can be affixed with Elastikon farther up the ankle. You do need to be sure the socks are snug, though. Cotton socks stretch, and if they get too loose the dog can step on the end of the sock with his or her front foot and either stumble or pull the sock off - or both.

I wouldn't put Therapaws over them if I used socks.

Guest myjazzy

My boy Jetstar has corns on both his front paws and I put on toddler socks under his Thera-Paws because I find the the Thera-Paws stay on better, especially on his left foot which is missing a toe. The heel part doesn't seem to cause a problem, but then he has no skin issues. And may I add, he looks precious with his little socks on. :)

Guest Bodie
I think I'd just wait until my pup was fully healed before taking him anywhere where he'll have to walk a lot. I wouldn't want to risk delaying healing or causing him any unnecessary discomfort.

Last week, here on GreyTalk, I asked for opinions on whether I should take Bodie along and it was on the advice of the members that I decided to go! I'm not wild about taking him, but I comfort myself with the thought he can always return to the B&B and rest (he's good with staying alone), Cornell Vet. School Hospital is close by for any emergencies, and, most important, he will be under my watchful care.

Last week, here on GreyTalk, I asked for opinions on whether I should take Bodie along and it was on the advice of the members that I decided to go! I'm not wild about taking him, but I comfort myself with the thought he can always return to the B&B and rest (he's good with staying alone), Cornell Vet. School Hospital is close by for any emergencies, and, most important, he will be under my watchful care.

I didn't see that thread, and what I wrote above is what *I'd* do in a similar situation. I don't know you, your dog or your situation so please don't focus solely on that one comment. We all love our dogs here and try to do our best by them using our own best judgement.

The rest of my post actually answers the second question you asked. FWIW, in your first question, you say he doesn't have corns, but it sounds to me like he does if there are two hard areas he doesn't want touched. Without seeing it though it's hard to say whether they are or not, or what could be done to fix the problem. I hope your vet has some suggestions for you. We used a number of different things to try and soften Pumpkin's corns and nothing worked. Hulling is the only thing that has so far.

Guest Bodie

I didn't see that thread, and what I wrote above is what *I'd* do in a similar situation. I don't know you, your dog or your situation so please don't focus solely on that one comment. We all love our dogs here and try to do our best by them using our own best judgement.

The rest of my post actually answers the second question you asked. FWIW, in your first question, you say he doesn't have corns, but it sounds to me like he does if there are two hard areas he doesn't want touched. Without seeing it though it's hard to say whether they are or not, or what could be done to fix the problem. I hope your vet has some suggestions for you. We used a number of different things to try and soften Pumpkin's corns and nothing worked. Hulling is the only thing that has so far.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to sound touchy - it's just we've been fighting this for so long and I'm constantly in a state of "Am I doing the right thing?" After months of this, the stress is really starting to wear on me...

Several weeks ago, I had a foster dog who had a corn. Bodie's hard spots look similar, but not quite the same. I'm thinking maybe it's scar tissue from when his foot was scabby and infected. I'm not sure. Unfortunately for me, we have no vets close by who "hull". (I was asked by the adoption group to call around and ask when I had the foster) The closest vet I know, who does this, is an hour and a half away.... sigh... more travel, more vet bills... I'm hoping the derm/vet has some ideas.

Rhonda

You might find a vet who is willing to try. Do you have the corn article that Dr. Feeman and Dr. Macherey wrote? NONE of the vets are our clinic had done it before, and three of them so far have been willing to have a go (though one only wanted to try when Pumpkin was asleep for her dental :) ). The pictures in the article help a lot, I think.

Unfortunately, the infection goes up his "ankles" where the Therapaws fasten and that irritates the sore areas and makes them raw.

What about cutting the foot part off the toddler socks so that he'd be wearing leg warmers essentially (think bad 80's dance movies)? The stretchiness would keep them up but protect his ankles from the velcro straps.

I hope you both enjoy your trip. It's nice to have a change of scenery sometimes.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest Bodie
You might find a vet who is willing to try. Do you have the corn article that Dr. Feeman and Dr. Macherey wrote? NONE of the vets are our clinic had done it before, and three of them so far have been willing to have a go (though one only wanted to try when Pumpkin was asleep for her dental :) ). The pictures in the article help a lot, I think.

Is that the article found under the Grassmere Animal Hospital website that is found under the topic "Corn"? If not, where do I find it?

Well if it is cool enough he can stay in your car, van, or SUV while you visit each winery? And yes if he isn't comfortable he can stay at the B+B. I understand how you feel.

"To err is human, to forgive, canine" Audrey, Nova, Cosmo and Holden in NY - Darius and Asia you are both irreplaceable and will be forever in my heart beatinghearts.gif

Is that the article found under the Grassmere Animal Hospital website that is found under the topic "Corn"? If not, where do I find it?

The pictures are here:

http://www.grassmere-animal-hospital.com/corn_hulling.htm

I have a copy of the veterinary journal article (which the vets seem to be more accepting of - if it's in a journal is more official I guess :)). If you PM me your email address and I'll be happy to email you a copy!

Guest Bodie

The pictures are here:

http://www.grassmere-animal-hospital.com/corn_hulling.htm

I have a copy of the veterinary journal article (which the vets seem to be more accepting of - if it's in a journal is more official I guess :)). If you PM me your email address and I'll be happy to email you a copy!

I'd appeciate if you would mail me a copy of the journal article to o2bnmv@hotmail.com. Thanks, Rhonda

Will he ride in a wagon like Frazzle did?

I was going to suggest a wagon as well, since we had been planning on taking Frazzle and his wagon with us to Grapehounds. We bought Frazzle's wagon at Lowe's, but Home Depot has them as well for a little cheaper (I felt the Lowe's cart was a little sturdier). Frazzle's cart was about 2' x 4' and a nice size for an 80-lb dog. I put a foam egg carton crate pad in the bottom and then threw a couple of comforters on top of that. I added a canopy so he'd have shade and hung a water bucket from the back, but I didn't get a chance to installing the curb feelers, under-cart lighting, or spinners before he left us. :P

expo_02.jpg

expo_04.jpg

Now, it took Frazzle a few minutes to figure the cart thing out - he hopped out several times when we first put him in - but once he had a good potty and sniffed a few butts, he got tired and realized that he still got love and attention and could sniff butts from the comfort of his portable bed. Then we figured out that if he started to get restless, he probably needed to go potty. I connected his leash to the cart using a carabiner so I could concentrate on pulling the cart.

Deanna with galgo Willow, greyhound Finn, and DH Brian
Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).

Guest Bodie
Will he ride in a wagon like Frazzle did?

I was going to suggest a wagon as well, since we had been planning on taking Frazzle and his wagon with us to Grapehounds. We bought Frazzle's wagon at Lowe's, but Home Depot has them as well for a little cheaper (I felt the Lowe's cart was a little sturdier). Frazzle's cart was about 2' x 4' and a nice size for an 80-lb dog. I put a foam egg carton crate pad in the bottom and then threw a couple of comforters on top of that. I added a canopy so he'd have shade and hung a water bucket from the back, but I didn't get a chance to installing the curb feelers, under-cart lighting, or spinners before he left us. :P

expo_02.jpg

expo_04.jpg

Now, it took Frazzle a few minutes to figure the cart thing out - he hopped out several times when we first put him in - but once he had a good potty and sniffed a few butts, he got tired and realized that he still got love and attention and could sniff butts from the comfort of his portable bed. Then we figured out that if he started to get restless, he probably needed to go potty. I connected his leash to the cart using a carabiner so I could concentrate on pulling the cart.

That wagon is wonderful! Too bad I don't have time left to go shopping for one before Grapehounds! Realistically though, I think Bodie wouldn't take to it as he is very social - I could see him hopping out every 5 minutes to socialize with the next greyhound or human he encountered. Now, it would be perfect for my other hound Rainy. She would take to it right away! Rainy has a habit of lying down and going to sleep wherever she is, when she is tired. At Greyhounds in Gettysburg one year, she laid down right on the outlet shopping mall walk and went to sleep. Nothing could budge her - everyone had to walk around her. Same thing happened last year at Grapehounds. She laid down in the middle of our eighth winery and had a nap. Lew pulled over a stool and sat with her while I shopped. That wagon would be great for her - especially at nap time!

Hope to see you at Grapehounds. Look for the black greyhound wearing Therapaws and red or blue socks on his front feet. (We went to Walmart last night and got him child sized socks for under the Therapaws - so far they work beautifully) Or look for the black greyhound sleeping in the middle of some winery!

Rhonda

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to sound touchy - it's just we've been fighting this for so long and I'm constantly in a state of "Am I doing the right thing?" After months of this, the stress is really starting to wear on me...

Several weeks ago, I had a foster dog who had a corn. Bodie's hard spots look similar, but not quite the same. I'm thinking maybe it's scar tissue from when his foot was scabby and infected. I'm not sure. Unfortunately for me, we have no vets close by who "hull". (I was asked by the adoption group to call around and ask when I had the foster) The closest vet I know, who does this, is an hour and a half away.... sigh... more travel, more vet bills... I'm hoping the derm/vet has some ideas.

Rhonda

Rhonda,

No 2 corns look alike. Yardmans corns grow in round hard and flat, when I soften the pad around the corn, the top of the corn can be scraped off with a fingernail. WHen it comes off, the tissue underneath is white and fiberous. What causes him more discomfort, I think, is the calous forming around the corn. Gus's corns grow out of his pads and eventually take on a horned shape and are grey and hard. I usually have them dremelled down and then we soften his feet too, to keep the pads from forming calouses.

Just for shiggles if he can tolerate it, you might want to try soaking his feet in an epsom salt solution for 10 minutes a couple of times a day, to soften his pad. See if the healthy pad creates a border around the hard spot, if it does, I would be dollars to donuts it's a corn.

I just want to say, corns and foot pain are hell, aren't they? It can be really taxing. Gus can't do any distances anymore, so we leave him behind a lot. :( We'll look for you at graphounds. I think I am bringing Battle and Penny or Battle and Doug, but not Yardman (because of predicted t-storms)

Edited by MomofSweetPotatoes

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Fannys_Mom

Romansperson - Can I get a copy of that article too? We've spent almost $500 on one vets with lots of greyhound experience and another orthopedic surgeon who all the vets said was great at diagnosing lameness. Well - we now know Fanny doesn't have cancer, bone spurs, broken bones or arthritis -which is great! - but nothing else. We tripped upon this board last night and the corn pics look EXACTLY like what's going on with Fanny. We've already used the dremmel on her and everything is acting just like the descriptions and pics. I'd love to send these two vets the Vet Journal article. I'm so glad we've found this - I've been trolling all evening! :) My email is ninetyfour.cobra@verizon.net

Thanks!