Naked Butts And Bellies

Guest Allisya

Guest Allisya

Piper has been with me for 3 weeks. I haven't seen any change in this since he has been with us. Does the hair usually grow back in?

I was walking him and someone saw his naked tush and asked me if he had been abused at the track or had he pulled the hair out?

So what makes tha hair fall out in those areas anyway? Anyone have any clues?

Thanks!

Alli

Guest greybookends

There are many reasons this happens, some just don't have much hair. The Lovely Mrs. Sheana was not abused ever and she has a lovely bare tummy and naked buns. I wouldn't worry about it. It just makes it easier to blow raspberries on their cute little tummies! :wub:

Guest SoulsMom

Soul is bare a$$ed too. His is because he is so tall and long, he couldn't turn around in his run without rubbing his hiney. Rubbed all his hair off. He's been with me since Nov06 and he just now getting some new growth. The little tufts of hair are so cute :wub:

Sometimes is never grows back, sometimes it does . . . . I'm not a vet, but I've heard some medical conditions can cause hair loss, such as problems with their thyroid and autoimmune disorders. Soul also has been possibly diagnosed with Discoid Lupus, which can affect hair loss/growth

From what I've read, although in a minority of cases it's caused by hypothyroidism, they really don't know what causes the bald butt. It's not inflammatory or the result of abuse. The hair often grows back, but not always. Nadia is eight, has been off the track for four years and still has a rump with that Yul Brenner look.

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

Guest CaroleWithRunningDogs

My bare butt foster boy was hypothyroid, and thyroid replacement therapy helped his coat. My big boy had a bare tummy and I used Missing Link. He never had the bare thighs to speak of though but between the Missing Link and Fish oil capsule he grew neck hair, which was one of his bald spots besides the tummy. If you can afford supplements, and/or running a thyroid test you could try those. Carole

Guest SquanHound

As stated already sometimes it is a thyroid issue. Although I have a very fuzzy boy, I noticed that he got considerably more fuzzy once he was on daily fish oil capsuls. It takes a while though to see a difference so don't expect it work overnight if you try fish oil or missing link (which I know a lot of other people here on GT swear by).

Guest PiagetsMom

I know Piaget's trainer told me that everyone has their own ideas, but no one really knows why racers have the bare butt......it does NOT come from being crated and having it rubbed off. Many believe it's a result of the exhertion of racing itself. It seems that for some it does fill in and for others it doesn't, but unless there is a medical problem that is contributing to it (which often times there's not) there's really no problem with the bare butts and tummys.

I've had Piaget for a year now, and she has had some hair grow in on her butt and tummy, but, there's still a lot of bare skin. She has the darker burgandy skin, and I've come to love her little baboon butt :)

Edited by PiagetsMom

Guest Tigonie

Emma came to us with a bare butt and belly. It didn't grow in. Someone told me about thyroid issues. We ran a full panel, but no problems were found. Somebody told me about fish oil capsules. Used 'em for almost a year, and still no change.

Just recently, she was diagnosed with kidney problems. Started her on kidney food and some meds. BEHOLD! Tufts of fur around the edges of the bald spots. She hasn't filled in by any stretch of the imagination, but there is definitely some fur starting. I think she's an oddball case, and I have no idea whether her fur will grow in everywhere it's bald.

If people ask, you can always just say he has a pattern baldness. That's what I used to say about Emma.

The good news is, if the hair does not grow back, you may get to enter him in a "Bare Buns" contest at one of the greyhound events! ;)

Guest Hokiebuck

Yes, there are various theories regarding "Bare Butt Syndrome" (BBS). Crate rub is NOT it. There are lots of GHs that were never crated and have bare butts. Hypothyroidism can cause it, however from what I was told from my Vet it is usually more splotchy, and there is usually a temperment/mood change and possibly some redness. BBS is usually pretty distinct and patterned. My GH has it from the bottom of his neck, down his stomach and his butt.

The theory I subscribe to is that there is a hormone that in some GHs promotes hair loss (kind of like in some men :blush

When they run that hormone is elevated and the hair loss increases. That might be part of the reason some people like to think its crate rub from the track and when they get their GH home and it doesn't stay in the crate, the hair grows back. What actually is happening is they are less active, and hence their hormone level decreases and they grow their hair back.

My GH actually lost more hair when I adopted him because I started running him 3-4 days a week 2+miles at a time to train him for LGRA. He didn't have a long career on the track, so he didn't have that pronounced of hair loss. Now he is as bald as can be. He actually won Barest/Best Butt on the Beach at BBH last year! :D

Guest needlenoselover

Heather has the bare butt and tummy. I never gave it much thought until I got Carly home. She has full. thick hair on her butt and tummy. But, I don't think it's anything to worry about. I give her fish oil capsules and a food supplement and no change. But i will ask the vet the next time she goes in.

Guest KennelMom

Excellent post by hokiebuck :nod

Our girl Stella, strangely, grows booty hair in the summer and loses it just in time for winter :youcrazy

Guest LolasMom
There are many reasons this happens, some just don't have much hair. The Lovely Mrs. Sheana was not abused ever and she has a lovely bare tummy and naked buns. I wouldn't worry about it. It just makes it easier to blow raspberries on their cute little tummies! :wub:

Couldn't have said it better! :wub: Love those tummy raspberries! :kiss2

Guest PiagetsMom
The theory I subscribe to is that there is a hormone that in some GHs promotes hair loss (kind of like in some men

When they run that hormone is elevated and the hair loss increases. That might be part of the reason some people like to think its crate rub from the track and when they get their GH home and it doesn't stay in the crate, the hair grows back. What actually is happening is they are less active, and hence their hormone level decreases and they grow their hair back.

We never went into this much detail, but maybe this is what her trainer meant by "exertion of racing".......don't know, but it makes pretty good sense to me!

Our girl Stella, strangely, grows booty hair in the summer and loses it just in time for winter :youcrazy

Our schnauzer does that. Seasonal alopecia! For her, I think it's some sort of vitamin deficience in the winter because it improves when we give her carrots all winter long!

Guest TBSFlame
Excellent post by hokiebuck :nod

That's funny.....Star grows butt hair in the winter and loses it every summer. :lol

When we adopted Tessie she had a bare butt and it took 2 years to grow back but now she has a hairy butt. A cute hairy butt. Starr has always had a bare belly. The cutest bare belly.

Edited by TBSFlame

Guest JillyBean30
Yes, there are various theories regarding "Bare Butt Syndrome" (BBS). Crate rub is NOT it. There are lots of GHs that were never crated and have bare butts. Hypothyroidism can cause it, however from what I was told from my Vet it is usually more splotchy, and there is usually a temperment/mood change and possibly some redness. BBS is usually pretty distinct and patterned. My GH has it from the bottom of his neck, down his stomach and his butt.

The theory I subscribe to is that there is a hormone that in some GHs promotes hair loss (kind of like in some men :blush

My GH actually lost more hair when I adopted him because I started running him 3-4 days a week 2+miles at a time to train him for LGRA. He didn't have a long career on the track, so he didn't have that pronounced of hair loss. Now he is as bald as can be. He actually won Barest/Best Butt on the Beach at BBH last year! :D

I never would have known that!!! Ripley had a bare butt when he came home - the hair is now growing back. I always just assummed it had rubbed off from being crated so much. His tummy is completely and perfectly smooth and bare, I just always assumed that was the way he was supposed to be! After going to lots of Greyhound walks in the park, I now call him "old man". He's just lost it from his belly instead of his head!! :lol

Guest Spencers_Greyt

A lot of the Greys will grow their hair back. I was always told it was cage-rub. But I've had Spencer for 4 years and he still has a nakey belly and butt!

Guest SoulsMom
The theory I subscribe to is that there is a hormone that in some GHs promotes hair loss (kind of like in some men

Wow, that is an interesting theory! My adoption group always told it was cage rub and if it doesn't start coming back within a year to have his thyroid checked.

No correlation between hypothyroid and bald butts in greyhounds -- somebody actually did a study on that. If your greyhound is bald in just the classic places and has no other hypothyroid symptoms, isn't worth getting the test. Also not crate rub, poor food, etc. in most cases. The reigning theory -- still a theory -- among scientific types is the one Hokiebuck mentioned, re the hormone cortisol. Sounds plausible to me but who knows.

Greyhounds -- and whippets, BTW -- seem often to have bald butts, tummies, necks for no particular reason. I've had Zema for 6.5 years; for the last 2 of those, she hasn't been much more active than your average lazy greyhound; her T4 on a CBC is generally within normal range for *other* breeds! Yet, by the end of the summer her butt will be bald as an egg, and by the end of winter it will be furry again.

I think bald butts are cool. Or maybe I should say "kewl" so as not to confuse the issue. :)

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest SoulsMom

You know, thinking about this, and since you mentioned whippets. . . . Archie is half JRT/ half whippet. For the first 5 years we had him his belly was completly bald. We always thought it was allergies . . . . .

Guest crazy4greys
No correlation between hypothyroid and bald butts in greyhounds -- somebody actually did a study on that. If your greyhound is bald in just the classic places and has no other hypothyroid symptoms, isn't worth getting the test. Also not crate rub, poor food, etc. in most cases. The reigning theory -- still a theory -- among scientific types is the one Hokiebuck mentioned, re the hormone cortisol. Sounds plausible to me but who knows.

Greyhounds -- and whippets, BTW -- seem often to have bald butts, tummies, necks for no particular reason. I've had Zema for 6.5 years; for the last 2 of those, she hasn't been much more active than your average lazy greyhound; her T4 on a CBC is generally within normal range for *other* breeds! Yet, by the end of the summer her butt will be bald as an egg, and by the end of winter it will be furry again.

I think bald butts are cool. Or maybe I should say "kewl" so as not to confuse the issue. :)

JMO and what I have experienced, that is not always true. Skylar was full furred when she came to me. I took her in when she started loosing her butt & neck fur. She has been on thyroid meds for 2 years now.

Winnie had a bald butt and was loosing her neck hair when she was my foster. After I adopted her, I took her in for a thyroid test and she had low thyroid. She is now on meds is going in tomorrow because she is still loosing hair.

Neither of them had thyroid symptoms. I just got them checked because of the hair loss.

It is puzzling to me too.

Some Greys came to us completely furred, and others only partly.

I thought that genetics must play a part in some cases, but in some Greys, all their fur came in after a few years, so now I am not so sure of the answer.

Our latest kid, Anna, is white with red patches, and she is really missing quite a bit of fur in various places. All her pigmented skin shows, and someone wanted to know if she was a Dalmation.

No, just a naked Greyhound for now.

Still she one beautiful girl..naked or not.