Eye Stains

Guest ss556

Guest ss556

Since the Vet added Tacrolimus(sp?) to Alan's daily routine for Pannus, his fur around the eyes are stained red. It really doesn't come off (not to mention his licking his chops stains around his snout). He looks like a mess. Any advice?

Guest tampagreymom

My Pannus girl had a similar experience. She was diagnosed in March and was getting Prednisolone and Cyclosporine drops frequently to start with. I noticed the fur around her eyes was red and when I called the eye doctor he thought it sounded like Demodex. It is some type of parasite that apparently all dogs have but when their immune system is suppressed, they cannot fight them off. I took her to her regular vet who took a scraping of the redness but did not see anything. By that time the drops were given less frequently and the redness just disappeared on its own. I never did find out what caused it.

If it is just staining, as opposed to the more serious mange issue mentioned above, I've had good luck wiping the area daily with a cotton pad soaked with a bit of diluted hydrogen peroxide. My grey doesn't have this problem but the little white-faced Cavalier, Winston, does.

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Guest ss556

No, I believe Alan's eyes are just stained. It happened once before when the vet put him on cyclosporine olive oil drops. I'm sure it's harmless, just looks bad. Is it safe to put the diluted hydro.perox near the eyes?

No, I believe Alan's eyes are just stained. It happened once before when the vet put him on cyclosporine olive oil drops. I'm sure it's harmless, just looks bad. Is it safe to put the diluted hydro.perox near the eyes?

It was Winston's puppy vet who suggested using the peroxide, so I think it must be safe. I don't get the cotton pad too soppy and I keep his face angled down rather than up, so not much of it ends up in his eye. There are a number of tear-stain removers that you can purchase and I've tried a number of them. So far, I've not found any that were better than the peroxide but some worked as well.

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

I've tried the tear stain remover on Jilly Bean and they don't work. I think I'll try Lucy's solution and see if that works.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee