Discoid Lupus

Guest SoulsMom

Guest SoulsMom

Is the possible diagnosis for Soul. Any advice, opinions, etc would be greatly appreciated. We haven't done the biopsy yet (I don't have the $$$ or the courage to have him sedated yet) but everything else that could be ruled out based on his urine and blood has . . . . his thyroid looks good, kidneys and liver A-OK. He is on antibiotics for a staph infection. I've been taking Kerri's advice and putting spf chapstick on his nose if he needs to be out in the sun, but I generally try to keep him inside between the hours of 10-4. I've also been giving him one 1000mg fish oil per day, as well as one 400iu Vit E per day. Anything suggestions for anything else I could be doing to help him?

I wouldn't do the biopsy either. It's much easier to treat and see if it works. Usually the treatment is tetracycline, B-3 and Essential fatty acids. If your vet isn't comfortable treating your grey then I would look for a Cert. Dermatologist.

Guest vahoundlover

Panalog cream on his nose a couple times a day...we also use tetracycline and niaminicide (sp?) sorry my brain is just not working right now. If you do a search on Pemphigus/Slo you'll see quite a few threads on what others have had success with.

Pinky's regimen is tetracycline, niacinamide, and vitamin E twice daily, and she gets an omega-3 fish oil capsule once a day. If her nose is being crusty I put vaseline or carmex on it (she won't lick the carmex off so that is sometimes better).

On occasion (if she flares up), the insides of her ears get crusty and itchy so she gets Burt's Bee's Baby Bee cream rubbed in there until we can get her under control again...she loves it!

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest SoulsMom
Pinky's regimen is tetracycline, niacinamide, and vitamin E twice daily, and she gets an omega-3 fish oil capsule once a day. If her nose is being crusty I put vaseline or carmex on it (she won't lick the carmex off so that is sometimes better).

On occasion (if she flares up), the insides of her ears get crusty and itchy so she gets Burt's Bee's Baby Bee cream rubbed in there until we can get her under control again...she loves it!

Does her nose hurt? Soul will "squeak" sometimes when I am trying to put the spf chapstick on his nose. It's looking much better lately. The tetracycline is persciption, right?

Thanks for all the input everyone!

When she's peely I'm sure it hurts as sometimes it will bleed :( She isn't too fond of having goo put on her nose but I try to apply it in the direction that she's peeling so as not to pull back the skin. When we go out we use Chapstick with SPF too...it helps if you keep it in your pocket so it's warmed up and "spreads" easier.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

• 2 weeks later...
Guest SoulsMom

Right now Soul is getting one 400iu VitE and one 1000mg fish oil daily. What dosage on the niacinamide should I try? I try to keep him out of the sun between the hours of ten am to four pm. We're also using the bag balm. I'm also shopping for holistic pet food to see if that helps any . . . . .

When Carolina flares up she gets 250mg of Niacinamide twice a day. It's a B vitamin so I don't think it would hurt them any.

gallery_24215_3397_4722.jpg

Carolina (R and A Carolina) & Rebel (FA Ready).
At the bridge: Kira (Driven by Energy) 7/19/97 - 6/17/04 & Jake (Jumpstart Dude) 9/12/00 - 1/24/15

Guest SoulsMom

Thanks! I'll pick some up and increase his vit E. I got some hollistic pet food to try, also. Solid Gold Wolf something . . .this is getting pretty pricey for someone who's unemployed :lol

Guest snowberry

Hey, the great thing about being unemployed is you have time to experiment with home-cooked food for dogs! :colgate Herbie has discoid lupus too, and I was told that cutting down on artificial additives and stuff would help, so now he gets one-third brown rice, one third vegetables, one-third meat (wahtever's on special offer) plus vit E and evening primrose oil. I thought home-made food would work out really expensive, but if you can buy meat in big freezer-packs, it's no more than holistic dogfood.

Guest SoulsMom
Hey, the great thing about being unemployed is you have time to experiment with home-cooked food for dogs! :colgate Herbie has discoid lupus too, and I was told that cutting down on artificial additives and stuff would help, so now he gets one-third brown rice, one third vegetables, one-third meat (wahtever's on special offer) plus vit E and evening primrose oil. I thought home-made food would work out really expensive, but if you can buy meat in big freezer-packs, it's no more than holistic dogfood.

I have really thought about doing this, but . . . . .I caught myself on fire when I was cooking a few months ago :blink: I haven't cooked since. (not ready, not ready :huh )