Norm Lost Another Toenail Last Night

A couple of months ago Norm lost his front left outer nail. His "pinkie". Never saw what happened looked over at him on his bed surrounded by blood. Took about 4-5 hours for the bleeding to stop, and by that time we had been sitting at the E-vet for about 2 of those hours so all they really did then was to make sure he was ok and send us home with anti-b's.

Last night around 4 we took everyone out. We we got back to the deck we noticed blood on the outdoor carpet. A quick check over everyone found Norm right rear "pinkin" curving straight UP! His nail had completely flipped around! Blood wasn't that bad yet, but I knew what was coming. We were able to bandage him long enough to get him to the car. Made it to the E-vet at 5. They quick wrapped it so he wouldnt bleed all over the floor, and then changed it within about 1/2 hour. Saw a vet at about 7. And then he said the scariest words I've heard since the boys came home.

"Let me take him in back, take the nail off, and he'll probably stay the night!" ACKK! My brain went into over drive.

"How will you take it off? Will he need to go under?"

"If its more than half off we'll just take it the rest off, if not then yes, he'll go under."

"Have you every dealt with greys? Do you know what to use?"

All the while trying to figure out how to gain access to you guys for emergency advice! But thankfully, yes-they knew that greys were different, and no-he did not need to go under. But he did need to stay. Vet came back in the room and said well the nail is off but boy is he bleeding! Well, duh! Thats why we're here!! He offered to let us take him, (my first reaction was yes-thankfully DP is a clearer thinker than I) and he spent the night. Called around midnight and he was doing ok. Called again at 8am, bleeding had finally stopped around 2am. We're on the way to pick him up now.

So now the reason for the post in H&M. Any thoughts on why he's losing his nails? Both the first e-vet and last nights said his nails look great. Not the crumbly, mis-shapen nails of SLO. He thought they were long until he saw the quicks were to the end. They are hard, well formed nails. Are there any other diseases I should be researching? Norm is the only pup of the 4 (2 non-greys) that has this issue.

Sorry its so long, and thanks in advance for any ideas. Off to get my Pacey Grey!

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

Guest CindyMessmore

No advice from me either. Just let you know we have a Grey with SLO... and the Vets are probably correct.. what you are seeing doesn't sound like SLO. Keep us posted. I'm sure someone else with either have already gone thru this or someone will go thru this in the future and look back at your thread.

I'd probably take him to his regular vet and get him tested to see why he bleeds so much. Nails do bleed a lot, but it shouldn't take hours for them to stop. Our Idol had SLO but with the help of a little Kwik-Stop Gel, we could get them to stop pretty quickly, like in a minute or two. If a nail was jagged when it fell off, he'd go to the vet and she'd give him a local anesthetic and then cut the rest of the nail off right where it came out of the toe. The bleeding on those would stop in less than half an hour.

To figure out why Norm's nails are coming off, he'll probably need to see a dermatologist.

Guest wilsontrixie

thyroid and lupis are the opnly things that come to mid here...

go to your regular vet and have a workup done on him....

Email Ohio State and ask for their opinion.

Has he had a TBD panel done?

thyroid and lupis are the opnly things that come to mid here...

go to your regular vet and have a workup done on him....

Because he has lost nails or because of the length of time to stop the bleeding? We are his 2nd home. I've just gone through the records he was sent home with:

9/30/05 Lt front paw (???) around nail beds digits 3,4 & 5. Nailbed infection. Metacam x3d & Cephalexin x2d. (he lost his Lt front "pinkie" earlier this yr. Is that is 1st or 5th digit?)

12/7/05 Lt hind torn to base 5d. Amoxitabs and Metacam

1/02/06 pedicure Rt front toe (I think 5) nail cracked

2/03/06 pedicure Rt hind #5 torn. *Suspect Lupoid. Nail sent out to Cornell-no dx as it was just the nail.

He came home to us 3/06 and the first issue we had with his feet was just a few months ago. And again yesterday.

He had a Thyroid panel 12/05. Vet notes say normal Greyhound. I'll post the results anyway

TT4=6

TT3=1.6

FT4=4

FT3=9.7

T4=4

T3=1

Thyroid Stimulating Hormone=16

Throglobulin Autoantibody=8

I also have Superchem,Complete Blood Count and Urinalysis results from 11/05 if anyone thinks that would shed some light.

I just realized looking at it spelt out like that that its always his "pinkies"...

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.