Preparation For Surgery -- I Need Info Fast!

Guest brindlebutt

Guest brindlebutt

My darling Forrest is having his bothersome toe amputated tomorrow; told to be in about 8:30am

I am so angry at myself! I lost the little instruction card telling me when to stop feeding and giving water.

Can someone please tell me what I need to do tonight?

PLEASE!!

Guest MorganKonaAlex

you should be ok yet. Just no food or water after midnight. Remember to put the water bowl up so he doesn't get access tomorrow morning when you're not looking.

I don't know exactly what your vet expects, but usually the time frame is no food or water after midnight. If there are prescribed medications that your dog needs to take, like thyroid pills, you can give medication at the usual time, but I usually let them skip a day. These are my vet's suggested requirements.

Also you are admitting him at 8:30 which doesn't mean the surgery is then. Sometimes they do blood work first and then do the surgeries.

Good luck and I hope everything goes well for Forrest.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest greytexplorer

yep-----no food no water after midnight

take up all the bowls and CLOSE THE TOILET LIDS

If you take him out for a potty break, do it with a leash so that you can stop him from eating or drinking unsupervised.

Good luck tomorrow!!!!!!!!

One vet I just used said no food/water after 8:00 p.m., and drop-off was 9:00 a.m.! I think protocol's vary with each vet, and depends upon the time they fit surgery into their daily schedule. You should be fine with no food/water after 10:00 p.m. :) Many prayers for your pupper... :hope

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.