I Was A Bad, Bad Mommy

We had tickets to the ballgame last night with fireworks after. Gypsy is still a little thunderphobic and the fireworks have been setting her off the last few days. She has made greyt strides in this area and I thought she would be OK while we were out. Well, long story short, we had a rain delay and we didn't even get to stay and see the fireworks. When we got home Gypsy was a wreak. I didn't notice how bad she was because I discovered a pee spot and let her out while I tended to that before checking her out. Once I let her back in, I immediately saw that she was in bad shape. She had stressed herself silly and was burning up. I quickly soaked some towels in water and covered her from head to toe. When that didn't work quick enough, I put her in the tub to cool her down. About 40 minutes later she was nearly calm and we all went to bed. She slept through the night and ate well this morning. Hindsight being what it is, we should not have left her alone on the 4th of July. :kickbutt My question is, did I do everything I should have once she was in this condition?

Everyday-4.jpg

Guest savvyprchick

Once you found her, I think you did everything you could: you cooled her and calmed her down in a relatively short time. If she hadn't calmed down so quickly, I'd have recommended giving her something to ease the anxiety.

Now that you know she needs help, be sure to visit the other threads going around about how to help your hound. I'm sure something will work for you (Benadryl, DAP diffuser, etc).

Good luck (and you aren't a bad mommy... you thought your pup was okay and did everything you could when you realized you'd made a mistake).

Once you found her, I think you did everything you could: you cooled her and calmed her down in a relatively short time. If she hadn't calmed down so quickly, I'd have recommended giving her something to ease the anxiety.

Now that you know she needs help, be sure to visit the other threads going around about how to help your hound. I'm sure something will work for you (Benadryl, DAP diffuser, etc).

Good luck (and you aren't a bad mommy... you thought your pup was okay and did everything you could when you realized you'd made a mistake).

Guest Brandy_b

I agree, you did everything you could think of. I would just try to get her to relax a bit more. And like Jen said try reading up on what you can do to help her :)

<3 Brandy & Caliloka

You're not a bad mom, it sounds like she's no worse for the wear today. I would talk to the vet about something to give her in the future during fire works.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

You did the right things when you got home, and now you know. :grouphug

We know to not go out when there are going to be fireworks but we can't always be home for thunderstorms. The very best thing I have found for our thunderphobic greyhounds is the canine lullaby cd. They will start calming within a couple of minutes of the cd starting and you can see their breathing slow down, the panting stop and they lay down and go to sleep. This cd is priceless to me, so much so that I ordered a back-up just in case. When thunderstorms are forecast and I must leave the house I put the cd on for them instead of their usual radio station. :)

http://www.caninelullabies.com/index.php?c...mp;pr=PressRoom

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

I am positive you did everything right. I know what you are going through...we can't leave LaceyLaine alone if there is even a slight hint of a thunderstorm. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.