Is This A Bruise

Guest BlackandBrindle

Guest BlackandBrindle

or what?

The norm around here is cuts and scrapes, not bruises and bites, so I'm not sure what this is. It definitely wasn't there last night and I just noticed it. Spud has been licking it a bit but not obsessively....

Any thoughts? (btw, I'm curious, but not freaking out or anything ;) )

IMG_0108.jpg

IMG_0109-2.jpg

IMG_0111-1.jpg

Guest lizmego

I looks like a bruise, but I suppose it could be a bug bite but I would think it would be more raised where the bug actually bit him. Maybe it hurts and that is why he is licking? You could try cold packs? Sorry I can't be of more help.

Guest SquanHound

I can't tell from the photo if there is a red welt in the middle or not. If there is then I would go with bug bite. Ping gets eatten alive this time of year. We have had a lot of success with Nature's Defense spray, which I put on him anytime he is going to out for a while around dusk time or any other time that the mosquitos are bad.

Guest LynnM

It's a bruise, but, some bites bruise up if you mess with them enough (both my dogs and I bruise after removing a tick). Remember that many bugs bite in order to get a blood meal. Blood released under the skin = a bruise. So... they tend to happen together. Of course, a bite is one of many things that can cause a bruise, and not all bites cause bruises.

Clear as mud?

Lynn

Guest BlackandBrindle

It's raised a bit in the middle, but I don't think I'd classify it as a welt. We have lots of weird freaky bugs, but very few mosquitoes. He's also not the most graceful of pups :rolleyes:

Some arnica and some ice should help. It does look more like a bug bite - it could have caused a bit of bruising when it bit or he may have chomped or bumped the spot a little aggressively when it bit him . Hope it settles down for him.

My boys, together again...

cedarlodge2010027_zpsc250b3bf-1_zps9f4d4

A hui hou kakou, my loves

Guest Cris_M

Maybe it's just my dogs, but a bug bite that subsequently bruises feels hot to the touch on mine. If your pup is licking at it and the Arnica doesn't help, it might be worth a dose of Benedryl.