I Need To Take In A Stool Sample

Guest MountainHounds

Guest MountainHounds

So I'm still fighting with the poo issues for Praxis, he's been through two rounds of Flagyl since I brought him home in April and he is still dealing with very soft poop at the best and the big D at the worst, although he's had very little gas. At this point I don't think that it's still issues with adjusting to a new food and so I talked with my vets office again and they asked me to bring in a sample to get tested. What's the best way to do this? How much do I need to take in? Does it have to be a 'clean catch' or can I take in what I pick up?

I just go out with them, watch where they go and immediately turn a zip lock bag inside out, pick it up and pull the back right-side-out and close. You need to get it fairly quickly so that nothing from the soil can get (crawl) into it. I'm sure I always bring a lot more than is needed :blink:

My vet suggested a good way to get a sample, especially if there are diarrhea issues, is to put a large sheet of wax paper beneath the dog's bottom as he (or she) stoops to take a bowel movement. It will keep dirt or grass from getting mixed in with the stool and you can easily fold up the wax paper and put it in a large baggie to take to the vet's. Our Hobbes is dealing with bowel issues at the moment and I have to use this method on Monday morning to get a sample for our vet.

Good luck with Praxis - I hope all the bowel issues are solved for you soon and you have some results from this sample.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Guest GunnyGirl

I took a stool sample in this morning with Gunny's annual checkup. I just went outside with her, watched her poo and picked up a piece immediately in a piece of plastic wrap. There were a few tiny pieces of dirt, etc, on it but most of it was clean. The "turd" was about 2x2"...I'm thinking more than enough! :lol

Guest RSD_Ranger

I do the inside out ziploc bag method. Your vet will usually tell you how "fresh" it needs to be.

ETA: My pup just went through a round of meds to treat coccidia (sp?). I guess he got it from eating some rabbit/goose poop. One dosage and it cleared right up. Hope your issue is as simple to cure :D

Edited by RSD_Ranger

Guest Greensleeves

I pick up a specimen container from my vet's office. It's tiny (>50-cent-sized), about 1" high, with a snap-on lid. Inside the container is a much smaller fixed ring (smaller than a dime). You only need as much as will fit inside the "ring" in the container. The container also comes with a small plastic paddle. (ETA: a quick Google search suggests these are "plug style" specimen containers)

I wait for fresh poop, capture bit with the paddle, smear it into the "ring," snap the lid on, drop the whole thing into a baggie, and whisk it off to the vet.

Guest mountain4greys

I use a plastic knife to get a small piece, and put it in a film canister. It works great, the vet only needs a little, just to look under the microscope. :)