Potential Cancer Treatment?

Guest VelvetEars

Guest VelvetEars

in my quest for answers about Jane, i ran across this information about a natural treatment that seems to be helping treat cancer. for those of you doing treatment, maybe this is worth a shot?

-----------------------------------------------------

New Hope for Treating Cancer Some dogs successfully treated with herbal extract, still under research.

C.J. Puotinen (author of The Encyclopedia of Natural Pet Care and other books; she is a NYS resident)

THE WHOLE DOG JOURNAL, May 2003 Issue

Article surveys the history of Artemesia as a cancer treatment. Artemesia is an herb that is also called Qinghao in Chinese, sweet worm, annual wood worm, Sweet Annie, or perennial wormwood. It is the herbal ingredient used in canine and human worming products.

Artemesia was first discovered by the Chinese Institute of Material Medicine as a treatment or preventative for malaria and the drug of choice in North Viet Nam for malaria.

In 1993, the University of Michigan discovered how Artemesia kills malaria. When Artemesia comes in contact with the iron stored in malaria parasite, it creates a toxin. Researchers at the University of Washington applied the action of Artemesia to cancer cells because cancer cells also store iron. Tests have shown Artemesia as an effective treatment for human leukemia and breast cancers, with promise as a treatment for melanoma, ovarian, prostrate, renal and central nervous system cancers. In 1999, professors Lai and Singh pioneered canine research on Artemesia with DVM Sodhi at the Animal Hospital at Lynnwood Washington. They found Artemesia able to cure bone cancer and lymphoscaroma. As of 2003, research was being done on Artemesia and osteocarcoma.

Dosages:

Human – 1 mg per kilogram (2.2 lbs) weight twice a day

Dogs - 50 or 100 mg twice a day for at least one month, continued up to 6 or 12 months

COMPATIBLE THERAPIES:

Vitamin C – do not use within 3 hours of using Artemesia

CQ10 – OK

Pancreatic enzymes – OK

Cod liver oil or other fat – recommended by some to improve assimilation of Artemesia

Radiation – NO. Radiation releases iron stored in cells. Wait at least 2 months after radiation before using Artemesia.

Chemotherapy – OK. Research shows Artemesia improves the effectiveness of 22 chemo drugs. Artemesia should be taken several hours after chemotherapy ends. Artemesia does not alleviate the side effects of chemo drugs.

CASE HISTORIES

2002, German Shepherd “Gus” owned by Karen and Greg Moore, Bar Habour Maine with adenocarcinoma had 5 chemo treatments but the cancer was still there. Three months later, the owners discovered Artemesia and gave Gus 100 mg. He is in remission.

2002, Great Pyrenees “Zoe” owned by Shirley and Mike Driggs, Lake Havasu Arizona with osteosarcoma was treated with 50 mg Artemesia. She became symptom free and the tumor was reduced in size for almost a year. The cancer did metasticize and Artemesia was repeated at 100 mg. A year after diagnosis, Zoe was still alive and enjoying life.

SOURCES OF Artemesia:

Holley Pharmaceuticals, Fullerton CA

REFERENCES:

Professor Lai – 206-543-1071, hlai@u.washington.edu

Kristen Kellar-Graney, Washington Cancer Institute 202-877-3390

I didn't hear about artemesia in the treatment of cancer until after I lost my weimaraner to hemgiosarcoma, but I would certainly have tried it. Although I hope :hope I never need another cancer treatment for one of my dogs, I wouldn't hesitate to try it. I have two of C.J. Puotinen's books that I find to be valuable resources for alternative/complimentary medicine.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Dr. Couto mentioned this last year in Louisville in his talk and said it was promising and I think he is doing a study on it.

There is a yahoo group:

Artimisinin

I see the link was already mentioned :)

He is Diane.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Here's a LINK to a website with more information about the herb artemesia as a treatment for cancer in people and pets. It also includes info re: sources of artemisinin compounds.

I have a friend who was just diagnosed with breast cancer and plan to talk to her about it as an option and/or supplement to whatever treatment she decides to do.

Edited to correct link

Edited by galgrey

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

I've been giving Snickers 100 mg/day since shortly after we learned of her OS. The original oncologist (who has left the hospital) was very positive about it and said by all means give it to her. I hope it helps.

Aero: http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=kees+uncatchable; our bridge angel (1/04/02-8/2/07) Snickers; our bridge angel (1/04/02-2/29/08) Cricket; Kanga Roo: oops girl 5/26/07; Doctor Thunder http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?z=P_31Oj&a...&birthland=

I gave Marvin artemisinin. It's compatable with chemo but you have to wait 8 weeks to give it if you use radiation (which we did on his leg).

When I was doing research I purchased the Whole Dog Journal article After you read it the links that are at the bottom of the article I posted below.

What you can do

Chemicals in Sweet Wormwood

Resources

Nancy with Rocket, Umeko and Sasha

gallery_151_3099_2018.jpg

Missing Albi, Kassie, Ramm, Ruby, my good boy Marvin and Mickey (BT)

NANCY B'S COLLARS