Mysterious Pain

Guest zippsmum

Guest zippsmum

Hi all,

I am new here, I just found this site while trying to find some explanation for my grey's mysterious pain. Hopefully someone can help.....he is off to the vet's on monday....but I am still worried.

Zip is a 7 year old greyhound who until Monday was bouncy and happy.....he ran a bunch and played with all his toys etc, etc. Sunday night when we went for our night time walk he was barking at another dog and did this odd twisty, jumpy thing while on his lead. The next day he yelped a couple of times when he got on or off the couch or into the car. He is quite subdued, but still asks to go for walks.....slow ones though. He is also eating same as always and has good poops etc. Nothing else out of the ordinary. He won't sleep on his back which he usually does. He is not limping at all, but you can see that he thinks about getting up a stair as if it is painful. He is not yelping anymore, and when I feel his legs and paws, which he allows me to do no problem, I can't feel anything out of place, no swellings no point pain...etc. I have not tried putting pressure on his back, but I suppose that I could.

So here's the thing, I think that he may have pinched a nerve when he twisted around the other night and I was just wondering what the best course of action is? I am of course paranoid that he might have bone cancer, I just am not ready to loose my zippy boy yet. Thank you in advance for any thoughts that you might have.

Ghislaine

Edited by zippsmum

He likely pulled something or jolted something out of place.

Keep him quiet and shorten your walk - if he insists on going, go, but make it a short one.

Wait to hear what the vet tells you on Monday.

Yep. "Quiet" is good -- no running off lead, no leaping about if you can keep him from doing it. Hugs and luck.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest FullMetalFrank

It sounds like he may have pulled a muscle. My boy is also seven; every now and again he will "over-do" it a little when we have him out for a run and he'll show a little pain for a couple of days. Once he slipped while running on wet grass and pulled a groin muscle, he had a fairly dramatic pain response to that injury, had me quite worried until I figured out what had happened. It is good that you're taking him in to get checked out, good luck!

Guest zippsmum

Thank you all for the advice and support I think I have gotten past the crying "my baby has cancer stage" and realized that it must, in fact be something like a pulled muscle or pinched nerve. He is still slow when walking today and still seems reluctant to sit down, won't get on the couch or in the car by himself.....but he certainly isn't any worse.....till Monday, they can only see him as an admit appointment so we have to take him there early in the morning and then wait till they have time to see him between patients. I'll get an update then.....thanks again.

Guest greytexplorer

Do you hae any pain meds on hand that you could give him?

Ascriptin is a buffered aspirin. I've seen this posted on GT before, and you can buy it at the store.

(Also, I have deramax, metacam and previcox which I can give to my girls should an inflammation or injury occur.)

Mandy LOVES massages. Zippy will too :wub:

Agree with the other posters, sounds like a pulled muscle or slight nerve damage. This happens sometimes to my old girl always on her right shoulder area. I find that gentle circular massaging all along the neck, shoulder and top of leg on that side, seems to ease it for her and within a couple of days she's fine again. Watch out for any problems with eating or drinking if you don't use raised bowls though.....mine has trouble reaching down to drink from bowls at floor level when her neck is painful.

Sue from England

Guest ProudGreyMom

We have had many instances like that here with my two greys - its usually muscle cramps, pulled musles - things like that. Always good to have it checked if there is evidence of pain. I use 1 Bufferin hidden in some peanut butter when one of my guys has some soreness.

Some greys are just yelpers with the slighest boo boo or bump - also known as the scream of death in my house. Jake is famous for it even if he steps on a pine cone!