Broken Toe? Should We Find A Emergency Vet?

Guest NeedSleep

Guest NeedSleep

We just noticed that our grey was limping and looked at his foot and his toe is all bent out of shape. Should we find and Emergency vet or can somehting like that wait until tomorrow?

Hm! You'll get more experienced advice (probably before I hit "add reply"! ;) ), but can you reposition the toe yourself now? Take precautions (muzzle, have your partner hold him) in case it hurts him more than he's willing to let you. Maybe that's not a good idea ... I probably would try, but that's me.

Okay, I'll just shut up and send some hugs!

:bighug

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Guest KennelMom

Sounds like it may just be dislocated. If it's dislocated you can sometimes pop it back into place. If the toe is really broken, I'd probably go to the e-vet if nothing else than for pain meds.

Guest Daytrippen

Our Trip had this happen on a Sunday morning. We waited till Monday for vet he didn't seem to be in pain and I felt the end of the toe to make sure it stayed warm (meaning blood flow was still there). Your choice you know your grey the best but if it doesn't swell and stays warm I would wait. They ended up putting Trip out and relocating toe (I think his was dislocated bent at the joint 90 degrees inward but didn't have xrays done because the treatment was the same). He had a splint on and you have to watch them because they can reinjure easily. GOOD LUCK!

Guest greytful4

My girl broke her toe last sunday evening and I didn't hesitate to take her to the emergency clinic,even though it couldn't have happend at a worse time! They put her in a spoonbill splint and gave her meds for pain. She's adjusting fairly well to having it on now. It is painful for them, so I would take him in and have a vet asses and treat rather than do home treatment...hope he feels better and it isn't too bad. :f_white

Guest LynnM

I'm not a vet.... First off, are you sure that it's broken and not dislocated?

If it was my own dog and I had pain meds, I'd give Rimadyl and splint the foot. If I didn't have that, unless the dog was seriously freaking out (a few do, but most are sensible and will just stay off it), or it was a compound (open) fracture, I'd just crate the dog and take him to the vet first thing Monday morning. Regardless, the dog will need to go to your vet Monday morning. A compound fracture is going to be a tad more problematic, as it really should be cleaned and covered immediately. If it was a compound fracture, I might consider a trip to the e-clinic if I didn't have supplies to clean/bandage as well as antibiotics on hand. Feet can get infected SCARY fast.

A broken toe isn't life threatening, and all the e-clinic will do is tell you it's broken and splint it. AYour regular vet can do this Monday morning, as well as advise you as to whether or not it's worth it to even bother to try splinting it. Sometimes it's easier on everyone to just amputate the toe and be done with it.

Lynn

Guest NeedSleep

Thanks everyone. I really want to take him to our regular vet (we love her and trust her 100%), so that and the fact that he is just staying off it, we decided to wait until first thing in the morning. I found some pain meds we had left over from when he had surgery a few years ago, so gave him some to get him through the night.

Poor guy.

Thanks again for the advice.

Edited by NeedSleep

Buck broke his toe (simple frature clean break) a year or so ago and my vet did not want to even splint it...but maybe he is in the minority. He said he was hesitant to splint broken toes as it transfers the pressure higher up the leg. :dunno. He just had me keep him on some pain meds until it felt better.

Hope he is doing OK and keep us posted. :grouphug

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg