Beau Limping

Beau is 1 week post op and has basically not been limping. Yesterday was his last dose of deramaxx (I don't remember the name of the drug, but it was a pain killer that is used for arthritis. )This is day one no meds. We started increasing his walks too which the vet said was OK BUT tonight he is limping visably. He's letting out a little whimper when he moves around getting comfortable.

Vet is closed.

Can I give him rimadyl to relieve his discomfort? He is still on the Simplief. One more day of that.

I plan on calling the vet at 8AM when they come in, but I hate to think he's uncomfortable. DH says he's limping because he's no longer on the meds for pain??? I don't know. What does everyone think? Crystal balls anyone????

I hate that I can't reach someone to talk to at this hour.

Update:

I called the ER Vet and they said DH was right. (there is a 1st for everything, :P ) and without the pain meds, he's starting to feel some pain.

He was also "tripoding" on the walk when he wanted to go faster, which I know he is not suppossed to do. Doc doens't want him over compensating on the other legs.

I will call the vet at 8AM and see what they suggest. He is resting comfortably. The ER vet would not say it was OK to take the Remadyl as they don't know my pup.

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

When is he due for a cast change? In addition to feeling post-op pain, if he has any kind of cast sore, that will slow him down also.

When he went in for his post op on Tuesday, vet said cast looked greyt. No need for change and it's coming off in 2 weeks.

We finished our walk and he wasn't limping as much. I'm sure he's adjusting to life without pain meds. He did well and enjoyed the walk.

G'night.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

If they say to keep him on pain meds, check about Metacam. We've had good luck with it with our crew and it's a little safer then rimadyl and daramaxx. Hope he's feeling better soon

Trish, Thorpe, Thorton, Solstice and Remy
Come see us at Milkys Greyt Goodies Fleece coats, cool-down coats, pajamas and Scrunchies for the well dressed greyhound

If they say to keep him on pain meds, check about Metacam. We've had good luck with it with our crew and it's a little safer then rimadyl and daramaxx. Hope he's feeling better soon

Please tell me why you feel the metacam is safer. I am totally green about this. I am taking Chloe in tomorrow for her rabies and I will be able to pick up some pain meds for Beau. I'd like to know what I'm talking about (for a change!)

Thanks!

PS vet said I if he is limping I should put him back on. No need for him to be uncomfotable.

HOw is Beau this evening?

Beau is resting comfortably, thank you.

He is limping. The vet said to put him back on the meds so I did. He is starting to get silly boy when we are on walks and it's so hard to control. He just loves everyone and thinks that everyone on the street is there to see him. The fact that his spirit is back makes me soooooooooooooooooooo happy!

I am sad that I can not take him on Sunday to the picnic. That is so much of a Beau kind of thing. It would be too much so DH is staying hom with him.

Will I see you Sunday?

Guest greytmonty
I am sad that I can not take him on Sunday to the picnic. That is so much of a Beau kind of thing. It would be too much so DH is staying hom with him.

Will I see you Sunday?

I am glad his spirit is back and the meds are working!

Monty, Sam, and I will be there Sunday!

I will look for you! I will ask Lisa to introduce us.

Guest LynnM

Not necessarily.... every NSAID has the same set of side effects, and each individual dog handles each drug differently. Most dogs tolerate all NSAIDS just fine. Some dogs get more pain relief from one than another. Some have side effects from one drug but not another. All of them have large margins of safety and are generally well tolerated.

Meloxicam, the active ingredient in Metacam is available as a generic through WalMart and Target's $4 prescription program, so that is something to think about for the significantly lower cost.

I personally will give whatever I have on hand if I have a dog that needs NSAID pain meds. Rimadyl is my first choice because it's been used longest in dogs and has a long, good track record of being safe and effective. Side effects, if they happen are obvious (vomiting, inappetance). You discontinue the med and contact the vet about a switch.

Rimadyl, Deramaxx, Metacam and Previcox all work in the same way, have the same possible side effects and about the same degree of pain relief. All are appropriate choices for a greyhound that has recently had surgery.

Lynn

For Beau, at least, I think he has better results from the Deramaxx than the Rimadyl. We have nver tried the Metacam or Previcox.

As long as he is comfortable and functioning and short term use, I don't have a problem with one over another.

Thanks for the education.

Will I see you Sunday?

I am glad his spirit is back and the meds are working!

Monty, Sam, and I will be there Sunday!

I will look for you! I will ask Lisa to introduce us.

Chloe and Teddy will be there with me. Chloe will have on her little pink visor! Much cuteness!

Guest gapeach1

I just used Metacam this week with L'il Bullet after he ran head on into the cement bird bath on Monday and broke the pedestal in half. Thankfully, he just bumped himself up, and must have some very strong bones now. He has superficial scrapes on the sides that are being treated with Neosporin and Vitamin E. The Metacam was fairly inexpensive--I got 5 doses for $10. I took him off it after 2 days, he didn't seem to need it. Gave him a baby aspirin in a hot dog yesterday just to make sure because he was playing a lot on it outside. And my Murphy fell Tuesday during the storm and scraped up his legs, and two deeper cuts. Cleaned them, and applying Neosporin, Vitamin E, and Baby aspirin 3 times day. Seems to be doing well. Another thing you could use is liquid benadryl--children's version. About 2 tsp every 6 hours.

GAPeach1