Do We Need To Go To The E-vet?

OK, I said I was never going to be one of those people who gets on the computer and asks if I have a medical emergency, and here I am :rolleyes:

Fletcher got up about 1:30 and went outside. When he didn't come back in, I got up to check on him, and he seemed fine, just wanted to play. I went back to bed, but when he still didn't come lie down (they sleep on dog beds in the bedroom), I got up again, and he was just throwing up in the living room. It's now around 2. He threw up his dinner, and the poop he had obviously just eaten :sick. While I was cleaning that up, he threw up twice more, the last time just a little clear stuff. His abdomen is not distended or hard, but he is still pacing, whining and panting, clearly doesn't feel well.

OK, I just checked on him, he jumped up on the couch and stopped panting, but still doesn't feel well. I am inclined to keep an eye on him, and wait, but should I take him in?

OK, editing to add, he's now lying on his bed looking at me like, why are you up? Let's go to bed! So I guess the crisis is over, but if anyone has any ideas about what caused all this, I'd be glad to hear them.

Edited by jbuckwal

Guest Hannah

:grouphug

Holly did this once, threw up her meal.

drank the waterbowl dry when I wasn't looking (busy cleaning up puke) which she then threw up all over the kitchen floor.

paced for a while before throwing up even more water :rolleyes:

I felt her all over and told her if she threw up again she was off to the vet, so she flopped on a pile of bedding and went to sleep.

I have no idea what it was or why she did it (we suspect she had got too hot earlier in the day) but after a good sleep she was fine.

Hugs for you and Fletcher (when he wakes up).

Guest winli02

I always say if you have to ask whether you should go to the vet.....then you should. BUT....Dilly has thrown up a few times (in a row) and then been fine. If all is still good in a bit, try a very small meal.

BUT I am not a vet and I (as would anyone else giving advise) hate to say "it's nothing" when it is something. Use your best judgement and if you notice ANYthing else odd, please go.

Sounds like just a tummy upset. No cause for alarm :)

Ours have been throwing up more lately, thanks to their fine taste in grass.

Why is it they always like to throw up on Carpet, rather than on the easy to clean floor?

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Well, Fletcher is still not 100% this morning, but he feels much better. He ate a small breakfast, which has so far stayed down and I've been washing bedding :rolleyes: . I think he is having a flare-up of his IBD, although that usually doesn't cause him to yak. If he's not better by tomorrow I'll take him to the vet, and of course, if it gets worse, we're off immediately!

I felt a little silly posting, but at 2 a.m. I didn't have anyone to second guess me :unsure

Sounds like the tummy bug that's been going through our house this week. Suzy had to go in for fluids but Lincoln's just ran it's course and he's fine. Suzy has a more delicate system so things hit her a bit harder. Our puppy was hit the hardest and is still at the vets (hope he can come home today though). As long as he seems to be getting slowly better I wouldn't worry to much. Lincoln (the normal one) seemed to be better in 24-36 hours. I guess the true normal on is Milky, she hasn't caught it yet and I hope that means she won't.

Trish, Thorpe, Thorton, Solstice and Remy
Come see us at Milkys Greyt Goodies Fleece coats, cool-down coats, pajamas and Scrunchies for the well dressed greyhound

Guest Heep

Sounds sorta like a hangover (poo hangover, eww), where the more you throw up, the better you feel. Maybe he just needed to throw up all the yuckies for his gag reflex to stop...er reflexing.

Sounds sorta like a hangover (poo hangover, eww), where the more you throw up, the better you feel. Maybe he just needed to throw up all the yuckies for his gag reflex to stop...er reflexing.

You know, the way he was moving, like he was kind of sore, reminded me of how the tummy muscles feel after hangover induced serial hurling. Not that I would, erm, know about that first hand (cough, cough) :lol He is drinking a ton of water, and I checked, he is not dehydrated.

I hope it is the current bug, and no one else gets it!

Guest greytexplorer
Sounds like just a tummy upset. No cause for alarm :)

Ours have been throwing up more lately, thanks to their fine taste in grass.

Why is it they always like to throw up on Carpet, rather than on the easy to clean floor?

ummmmm he's outside anyway, so why not throw up out there? :huh

these silly pups

ya, I think like the others.......possibly heat-related tummy trouble.

to play it safe, I'm gonna start limiting the outside time zoomies. It has really gotten hot lately.