Anxiety Medication

Guest Tomgreyhound

Guest Tomgreyhound

Unfortunately, I've been a regular on this subject. I took about 3 months off the forums to give me a chance to stop worrying about every little thing Tom did and to give Tom a chance on his medication. Unfortuately, the clomicalm my vet prescribed for him does not or has not made much difference with his fear and anxiety. It seems to only make him extremely lathargic and not at all more calm. In fact, if it can be believed, he seems to be taking a step back lately. We have since discontinued the medication, and I'm going to call my vet later to maybe get some more ideas, but I'm wondering if any of you have tried anything else (another medication in particular) for severe fear and anxiety. Also, do any of you have success with behaviorists or particular books I should read? It will be a year next month that we've had Tom and, well, since he's not getting much if any better, it is time we pull out all the stops. Tom deserves a happier and calmer retirement. It seems like he feels like I would feel if the boogey man was really in my closet and my life was really in danger 24/7. Just want to make him feel better. Thanks.

Edited by Tomgreyhound

Guest Mommydog

Have you tried a DAP ? My boy Joe has a terrible fear of aircraft, and I've used Bioforce herbal tincture to reasonable effect with him. I wouldn't say that it's cured him completely, but it has definitely helped. He took it for about 6 weeks before it had any effect, so it isn't a quick fix. If you decide to try it, and it doesn't appear to work then try another type. I initially used the one for anxiety which did no good at all, so I changed to timid and he does OK on this one.

Clomicalm is not to be stopped abruptly. Ask your vet how to reduce the dose as you discontinue it. We had our Gracie on it for a total of 3 months.

I'm sorry it hasn't helped your Tom. Prozac might be an option but I do not know if it will also make him lethargic.

I recently started using essences. While I am not big into herbal stuff I was surprised to see this stuff work. Contact Cathy Lloyd at www.auniqueapproach.com She'll review with you what you need and will formulate something specifically for Tom. Costs about $18 plus shipping. I had 2 formulas made. One for Oliver's thunderstorm fears - although we haven't had abad storm to test it. With the second one I asked for so my dogs wouldn't be overexcited when we have guests and foster dogs. That one I have tried and I've seen a difference. There is no overdose level and humans take it too. It's worth a try.

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Tomgreyhound
Looking back, your first post was made on 7/24/2006, so you have not had him a year yet. Which, for a spook, is not a long time.

Does he come out of his crate now?

I did not actually find the forums for about a month after I got Tom so next month will be our year mark. :colgate As far as the crate issue, that's fairly recent, within the last 3 months or so. I dont mean to say he's gotten worse on the whole, but with strangers he is definetly taking a couple step back on a regular basis. I think it is just a coping mechanism for him and one that is much easier to fall back on than, "breaking out of a shell." I'm going to call the vet today and see what they think. I'll let you all know in case any one else is curious about such medications.

Guest brindlebrigade

My little girl had a hard time at first especially with strangers -she would run and hide in the bed room. It took her a good couple of years of lots of rubs and lovin and especially treats!!! to help her come out. She is still a little shy of strangers out on walks but will at least give them a chance.

I got her when she was 4 and now she is a definate senior grey - 16yrs.

My best advice is to give them lots of love and give them words of encouragement and praise when they are good. My girl did learn that her mom was going to protect her.

Good luck

Guest Tomgreyhound
So, except for strangers, he is coming out of the crate to spend time with you?

There are some spooks that take several years to make progress.

I can't remember--you did do a thyroid panel on him, right?

No, half the time he wont even come out of the crate for me. If a stranger is over he'll stay in the crate and shake like a leaf on a tree during a wind storm :blink: . He's very submissive to us, though he will come out and lay on the couch while we're in the front room on occasion. For example, just a few minutes ago I left the room and he tottered out of his crate to see where I went. He hasnt been outside for about 7 hours, and we usually take him out around noon (it's 2:30 now) but when he saw me go to the door to get his leash he ran back into his crate. This has been a regular thing for a while. He must associate going out there with being terrified and will only do it when he REALLY has to go.

He has not had a thyroid panel. The vet did not seem to think he needed it. But heck, it's worth looking into for next time.