Prozac

Guest VirginiaGreys

Guest VirginiaGreys

We're going to try prozac to try to treat Foxy's anxiety. For anyone that has used prozac for their grey's anxiety issues...how did it change them...for the better or worse....and habits like eating, etc??

Guest LynnM

It's slow going and it's NOT a magic bullet. You and a behaviorist or vet need to have a behavior modification plan in place and be willing to follow the plan or else you'd do just as well to flush the meds down the toilet. Prozac doesn't do beans for the vast majority of dogs unless there is concurrent behavior modification. The good news is that it can "take the edge" off just enough that behavior modification has a chance to work.

Lynn

We started John E on 10 mgs of prozac, were supposed to work to 30, but stopped at 20 mgs. You will not know when you see him that he is a medicated dog. People who know him well, think the change is very subtle. We worked with a behaviorist and just medication is not going to address the problems. He has been medicated over a year. Dogs, just like people, do have issues.

Tonight we had a huge thunderstorm and he was fine. He does better with noisy trucks and cars, but not always with other dogs in his face. He is much more relaxed and confident.

The change will be slow, working in adjusting the fears or anxieties, and developing positives will all work together. It ain't easy, but it is worth it.

Generic prozac can be purchased at Walmart for $4.00 per month. I had an excellent price from the U of Penn, but this price is less than my own drug plan.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest VirginiaGreys

Foxy was a bounce due to her anxiety issues. That won't happen with us. We have been working with her using melatonin and dap...but they aren't working enough...because we aren't always aware when the neighbor will ride his moped. Her only issues are noises like chain saws, mopeds, lawnmowers, weedwhackers and other loud noises ....like lots of traffic noises...otherwise she is normally the perfect couch potato. However...when those noises begin to worry her because of their close proximity...she will usually have a racing heart, paces and pants with a very anxious and worried look on her face. We don't coddle her. I ignore her...we all do. We've taken her outside when she's doing this and pretend that all is fine...nothing changes her fear except some time, melatonin and less noise.

We've tried having her outside before the noises start...have her near the noises before they get started.....it doesn't help. Once they are turned on...she goes bananas.:(

I was curious as to what others have experienced when they used prozac. We're starting her on 20mg a day and are hoping that after some time on prozac that she won't always need it.

I will see about a prescription instead of getting it from the vet. For one month it was $10 and change today. But $4 is better.

We just hate seeing Foxy so scared and want her to be more relaxed...more often. She's our first grey of 4....and we can't imagine not having greys now...all thanks to her. :wub:

Hey, Diane, I've never used Prozac, but I just wanted to send you and Foxy a hug! :grouphug I'm usually not emoticon inclined, but you've been dealing with an awful lot.

Prayers as well as hugs,

Nancy

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest VirginiaGreys

Thanks Nancy...she's our queen around here. ;)

We just feel so bad for Foxy. We're going into "that busy outdoor season" and instead of every few weeks of extreme noises...its every day sometimes. :omg We finally have given up on trying to make her eat at regular times....we just make her dinner and when she acts hungry we uncover it and let her eat then. Foxy is on the slim side ...so she can't afford to not eat...so...even though we've tried the "you don't eat with the others, you don't eat".....but she doesn't have any weight to lose. :(