How Did Millicent Smith (houndmama, R.i.p.) Touch Your Life?

GreytNut

As you probably know, Millicent lost her battle with lung cancer yesterday evening at the young age of 50. She had so much living left to do, but her poor body just couldn't take it anymore.

While I never met Millicent face-to-face, I was fortunate to have been able to briefly call her a friend. When DH and I were casting about helplessly for places to move, she suggested her town of Hendersonville, NC and gave us a wealth of information on the place. She let us know that if we came out there, we would already have friends and possibly jobs waiting for us. She had a list of pet-friendly rentals that would allow us to keep our greys. While we didn't end up there, I did remember her kindness. When I heard that she was ill and afraid, I wanted to give that kindness back. We became friends through phone and e-mail, and I sorely regret not having been able to visit her or to provide more support. Surely a visit and a hug would have meant a lot more to her than a bunch of care packages haphazardly cobbled together with whatever I could come up with. Too late, too late.

This was a lady who truly loved animals and gave till it hurt. She extended that kindness to people, event those she didn't know. I've never understood why people like that are prematurely yanked away from the world, when the world so desperately needs them.... Yet I'm relieved for her. She was in constant, unrelenting pain. Those last few months were very hard. As lovely as a sudden miracle would have been, it was not to be and it was time for her to shed that pain-wracked shell.

So how did Millicent touch your life, in whatever ways, however small? Did she perhaps help one of your greys? She touched so, so many lives in her brief time here, and it's amazing how many people who never met her in person loved her so much.... Please share!

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

I've been following her illness since diagnosis. I can't say there was any specific reason she touched me, but she did and I can tell you that I'm really feeling it today. She was such a strong woman, an inspiration. I will miss the stories she shared, I will miss her.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Guest BigPercyInMa

What impressed me when I first noticed her on GT was that she was a doer, not just a talker. Where other people would still fret and worry, she'd get stuff done! Like when she picked up the phone some time last year and got a Greyhound-sized live trap organized in no time at all!

My deepest sympathy to her families & friends. I don't personally know her but have read about her on the L list. What I remember is the beautiful picture of all her hounds. Magnificent picture & it was obvious from 1 picture how well cared for & loved all her dogs were to her. May she rest in peace.

Patty, Zim & Lexi in heaven

Guest greytlady

My deepest sympathy to her family and friends.

My father has battled cancer for several years now. When he was diagnosed he was given 3 to 6 months even with treatment. He has several brain lesions and has undergone over 80 radiation treatments. He tried chemo and it almost did him in. He is from the old school that men are men and don't cry or complain. Reading Millicent's posts have given me so much insight into what my father has been feeling and going thru but would never talk about. In some strange way I have felt closer to my father by reading what Mil has been enduring and have been able to empathize with him.

She has indeed touched so many people and I feel like I have lost someone very special before I had the chance to know her.

Guest KennelMom

Millicent adopted our Bridge girl Star to us. You can read Star's story here. That was the first time I'd met Millicent. But one thing I learned quite quickly, is that there are few more passionate dog advocates than Millicent. As someone mentioned earlier, she was a DO-ER. Always trying to mobilize, organize and do whatever she needed to do in order to help out a dog...not just greyhounds...ANY dog who needed her help.

StarRelaxes.jpg

We would often get emails about transports or dogs in need that might be in our area...and we would help when we could. The last pup Millicent sent our way was a greyhound named MPS Smokey Joe...he was having issues in his home and she thought maybe we could just call the family and talk them through it since the adoption group was not in the picture (she wasn't even sure there was an adoption group). Long story short, we ended up going to pick Smokey Joe up from the home and fostered him for a while until the adoption group (he was actually wearing the group tag still!) could get him back to Florida. Smokey Joe was just recently adopted!! :yay Hopefully, to a real forever home!

smokeyjoe_ears.jpg

Guest jettcricket
Millicent adopted our Bridge girl Star to us. You can read Star's story here. That was the first time I'd met Millicent. But one thing I learned quite quickly, is that there are few more passionate dog advocates than Millicent. As someone mentioned earlier, she was a DO-ER. Always trying to mobilize, organize and do whatever she needed to do in order to help out a dog...not just greyhounds...ANY dog who needed her help.

StarRelaxes.jpg

We would often get emails about transports or dogs in need that might be in our area...and we would help when we could. The last pup Millicent sent our way was a greyhound named MPS Smokey Joe...he was having issues in his home and she thought maybe we could just call the family and talk them through it since the adoption group was not in the picture (she wasn't even sure there was an adoption group). Long story short, we ended up going to pick Smokey Joe up from the home and fostered him for a while until the adoption group (he was actually wearing the group tag still!) could get him back to Florida. Smokey Joe was just recently adopted!! :yay Hopefully, to a real forever home!

smokeyjoe_ears.jpg

Wow...Heather you have a big heart. Seeing those first few pics of Star made my eyes well up. :cry1

There's no if's, and's or but's that Millicent is watching over Star and all the others that have gone before her including my sweet baby Chance.

Thou I never had the pleasure of meeting Millicent, it was obvious her love for life and her total devotion to her babies and in helping other animals as well. A true angel here on earth....now in heaven. She just seemed like a very loving warm, compassionate person, someone that you'd bond with immediately just giving her all...never putting herself first. Thou her time here on earth was short she made a differerence and for what ever reason God wanted her by his side.

RIP beautiful lady....you will be missed. :f_pink

I first met Millicent in the fall of 2001. I had been planning to go to Nepal on a trip, but Sept. 11 happened and at the time, the U.S. was pressuring Pakistan to either side with "us" or Afghanistan, and we were on the brink of invading Afghanistan to find Osama bin Laden, so I backed out of the trip. The region was just too "tension-filled." I was so, so bummed, as I really needed a vacation-- Dewey happened to be a few weeks away so I emailed the big Greyhound-L asking if it was too late to go, what was the best place to stay, etc. Out of the blue, Millicent --without even knowing me-- invited me to stay with her and a few other people at a beach house on Read Street. We had a wonderful weekend!

I ended up staying with Millicent in 2001 and 2002, for both years' Deweys. In 2001 she just brought Jett. In 2002 she brought all her dogs AND her mom! It was wonderful. She was even patient and understanding after my Lucy snipped at one of her whippets-- Maddie had been a bit too inquisitive with Lucy all weekend and Lucy just had enough of it and nabbed her. :blush I always felt so bad about that!

Millicent and I emailed/called every few months through the early aughts, maybe. At the time I was in my early/mid 20's and she gave me so much inspiring career advice, "Life" advice, dog advice, etc. I don't know if I gave her anything other than a large phone bill!! :lol But she was so kind, so inspiring to talk to, and her stories of life, greyhound rescue, life in the mountains with a house FULL of animals etc. were so fascinating! Like people stated before... she was a "Do-er", not a talker! She got things done and had so many tales to tell of rescues, adoptions, dogs and cats. She always put the welfare of the critters first. Her compassion for them seemed to know no bounds.

We kind of drifted apart the past few years (I guess as long-distance penpals sometimes do) and was shocked when she emailed that she had tentatively been diagnosed with lung cancer. Her struggle has been courageous and inspiring. She had her down days but always remembered to count her blessings and have an "attitude of gratitude." Her struggle has taught me so much about life and I printed out several of her posts that were inspiring to me... so that when I have a "glass half-empty" day, I can always read Millicent's words and remember the power of positive thinking. Her death has been a total shock. I think, "This should NOT have happened... the world NEEDED people like Millicent!" But God had other plans and needed her elsewhere... I guess we can't quib with God. Man though, I was hoping for a miracle. I guess we all were.

The greyhound rescue/adoption world will be much poorer without Millicent here --! f_yellow

My heart breaks for her family, especially her mom. They were so close. And for her greyhounds, whippets and cats, who must now be rehomed and learn to live without their momma Millicent. And for Hazel, who lost such a good friend. Oh goodness.... my heart breaks for all of us because we have lost such a wonderful person and greyhound advocate! We will miss you, Millicent!

Jen

Guest Snowy8

I never met her...but I had a few topics that she so graciously responded to. I think anyone who gives their life to greyhounds & the adoption of them is a wonderful person. Regardless of whether a person can actually get out there & do something or can stay behind & root the others on, I think anyone who has been a part of the adoption process or whether they're taking part in a GUR or just adopting a greyhound...they're a special person. For some reason a greyhound touched & tugged on that person's heart.

It sounds like Millicent was a wonderful person & I think God took her to work in heaven vs here on earth. He probably decided that there were enough "Millicents" down here doing her job & He needed her help in heaven.

I am so sorry for her family, but at the same time a little jealous that they had her with them & some of us didn't get to experience her in person. AND I'm a little jealous because she's up there playing with OUR bridge kids...I'm sure Pegasus is pushing his way forward to see her & nudging her from behind...he was great at pushing me through the house with his nose up my rear....

Its a sad time & a happy time....sad that we won't get any stories from her on Greytalk anymore, but a happy time that she's now free from pain & discomfort. Her beautiful hair that I keep hearing about is flowing in the breeze as she sits & pets each greyhound that arrived before her. She'll know them all by name I'm sure. Sad because her family has lost a wonderful family member, but happy that they have wonderful memories of her!

So I celebrate her passing with sadness, happiness & a little envy. Millicent you touched a lot of hearts here on Greytalk...imagine how many you touched through out the world!

Hilda, mommy of Snowy Banker Jack Gogh Gabby BuyCut Dear & Pipi-Francine

• 1 year later...
Guest greytloves

Why have I been thinking of Millicent all day now?

I think maybe Houndmama is looking down on all of us today and smiling.

I remember her amazing threads when she was battling cancer. What an amazing woman.

Guest Winterwish

What an important and thoughtful thing to ask about Houndmama.

Along with Houndmama's posts in general here on GT,what I remember most was how she worked day and nite to try to find a little greyhound named Maggie,lost in the mountains of North Carolina.

Little Maggie was never found that anyone is aware of,and it broke Houndmama's heart,it really did.

I only knew Houndmama by phone,and only during that time when Maggie was on Amber Alert. Maggie was not one of her greys,but she cared about her being lost just as tho' she were.

Edited by Winterwish

I think about Millicent from time to time, and wonder why she had to die.

She wanted to live with all her heart and soul.

I also think about the kindnesses shown to her and all the wonderful people who came to her aid in her time of need....

Her Mom, Helen, who stayed up with her during those painful nights,when she suffered so much and

remained at Millicent's side at the hospital, day after day.

The woman, who left her home and family in PA, (I think her name is Hazel) and drove through the night to get to Millicent. She remained with Millicent all through her months of treatment, and her optimism for getting well.

She also stayed with the family in Millicent's decline and her final days.

After the funeral, Hazel went back home to PA, packed up and went back to Millicent's home town. As far as I know, she and her family, now live there, permanently.

The goodness and kindness of humans, astound me in a most profound way.

Rest in Peace Millicent.

:f_red