Can't Wait - Excited!

Guest Christina

Guest Christina

Hello! I am new to this forum! I am a single homeowner with a fenced yard, I have 3 teen boys, and a little whippet-mix named Shelby.

I applied to adopt a grey from a local organization, and after going to a meet n' greet, I spoke to the lady who runs the organization. She will be coming over next Saturday to introduce us to him!! YAY!!

I am so excited I can hardly contain myself!

I ordered the Branigan book online, and anxiously await its arrival. If I don't get it by tues. I will just go to the bookstore and buy it.

I heard about this forum from someone on another forum, and this seems like a nice informative forum. Glad to be here!

Here is a picture of Shelby, the incredible jumping whippet:

shelby.jpg

Guest Christina

Thanks so much to everyone for the lovely welcome - I will be sure to post pics of the new guy... Hoping everything works out!

Funny thing is, until about 4 yrs ago, I was a die-hard cat-person. I had a family of blue point Siamese for years, I had to leave them behind when I was divorced, and I never really had a dog in my life up until 4 yrs ago. Oh what I was missing!

It has truly been hard to sleep just thinking about him! I am so excited, and I hope he likes my house and family and Shelby.

OMG, about Shelby... In the yard pictured, there are two curly willow trees, she has eaten most of the bark off of one of them just from jumping up at a squirrel, and biting the tree. If I stand and reach up to touch the bare, bitten part, I have to stand on my tiptoes, I am 5'7". She is truly an amazing jumper! I often have wondered if the other non-whippet part of her may be Jack Russell?

We don't live in that house anymore, though! She was OBSESSED with the squirrel, although I think the squirrel vacated the area as soon as we moved in to that house!

Guest boondog

Welcome, Christina! I'm pretty sure you're the Christina and very cute Shelby I met at the Petsmart M&G last week. I'm Julie (short red-head) who talked to you for awhile.

I'm very excited for you! Which dog may be yours soon?

WELCOME to GT. Can't wait to see pics!

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest garysgreys

If you go out and buy a book get retired racing greyhounds for dummies by Lee Livingood since you're getting the brannigan book already.

They're both great books.

Guest Christina
Welcome, Christina! I'm pretty sure you're the Christina and very cute Shelby I met at the Petsmart M&G last week. I'm Julie (short red-head) who talked to you for awhile.

I'm very excited for you! Which dog may be yours soon?

:wave OMG HI there Julie!!! I remember you!

Barbara is going to introduce me to Sneakers!!! He is so beautiful! I hope hope hope I get him!

Great to see you here - someone I have actually met in person!

Its a small world, huh? :P

I got my Branigan book yesterday, and if I don't fall asleep first, will finish it tonight... LOL

Thanks for the book recommendation garysgreys... There's another thing to add to my library list!

Edited to clarify: Reading makes me sleepy, the Branigan book is actually very interesting! :D

Edited by Christina

Welcome Christina, I am new myself, just adopted 2, count'em, 2 greyhounds.

"Law" (Country Law) and "Wafer" (Pat C. Wafer)

I have the "Retired Racing Greyhounds for Dummies" book and it is great.

Guest Christina

Well, there will be a slight delay in the process... poor guy, he was neutered last thursday, and has since experienced some bleeding, so I got a call tonight and was told that the foster family thought it was in his best interest to have him wait a week for the home visit. That's OK, I hope to have a whole lifetime with him, so I most definitely am willing to wait until he feels like getting out and about.

Poor Sneakers! :wub:

I can't imagine that I'd want to meet anyone new after having my naughty bits cut off either!! :lol

Thanks for all the friendly welcomes! I will post a pic of the big guy when I get one!

BTW, I remember when my Siamese boy was neutered, he simply could NOT climb the stairs for the longest time, everything he needed was downstairs, but he insisted on going UP. To avoid injury, I had to practically wall off the stairs!

Got any pics of your two new greys GST? I love the name, Wafer!

I just love all the pics on this site... you've never seen a dog smile unil you've seen a greyhound smile! AWWW!

I took them to work the other day, and the president of my company came in,

sat on the floor, and took pictures of them. I hope the folks on this board are

not tired of seeing these pictures, I've posted them several times.

Sorry I still can't get photo bucket to make the pictures smaller.

Law posing

SmallPicture013.jpg

Wafer posing

Picture003.jpg

Wafer at window

Picture019.jpg

Guest boondog

Sorry to hear you have to wait for your home visit. I know his foster parents well, and they know what they're doing. You seem to be taking it well. :) I can't wait to hear how it goes next Saturday. Being a foster parent myself, I always get excited for the potential adopters. I remember what it was like getting Boon, our first greyhound.

Edited by boondog

Guest Christina
Sorry to hear you have to wait for your home visit. I know his foster parents well, and they know what they're doing. You seem to be taking it well. :) I can't wait to hear how it goes next Saturday. Being a foster parent myself, I always get excited for the potential adopters. I remember what it was like getting Boon, our first greyhound.

Not a problem at all to wait! In all honesty, this will give me a chance to crawl around at tall-dog-level to see what may look interesting enough to chew on. I take it for granted that Shelby doesn't 'borrow' anything but socks! :lol Is it hard being a Foster parent? Not the parenting itself, but the day when they go to their forever home? Or do you keep in touch with the new family? Personally, I would love it if Sneakers' Foster family would kept in touch down the line.

Gst, I am amazed how much Wafer looks like Shelby! Your dogs are both beautiful, and I LOVE those ears on Law!! Are Law and Wafer related? Thanks for posting the pics!

Here's another Shelby:

shelby_look.jpg

Edited by Christina

Christina,

Shelby is so pretty and does look a lot like Wafer.

The day they were adopted, we took both Law and Wafer to my office,

the president of my company loves animals and insistd we bring them by,

the president sat on the floor with a digital camera and took the pictures,

the reason Law's ears were up like that is the red eye reduction light on the

camera came on and he looked straight at it.

Law and Wafer are of no relation as far as I can tell from their pedigrees,

but the only way I can quickly tell them apart when they are looking straight

at me is the white on Wafer's face goes all the way back behind the ears

and Law's stops on his forehead. Plus we put a purple collar on Wafer

and a green collar on Law. Purple and green, Mardi Gras colors, my wife

is in a Mardi Gras parading society and the season is in full swing right now.

Neither of my pups were ever in a foster home, but I intend to remain in

contact with the ladies at the adoption center,because they were so nice

and helpful, to let them know how the pups are doing.