Sonny

Guest jsullysix

Guest jsullysix

I had posted about Sonny in this thread; he was diagnosed with Osteosarcoma. Here's what I had posted:

in december, i was looking on a greyhound adoption site and found Sonny; a (now) eight year old dark brindle male greyhound. he was on the "injured reserve" page, which is where the group puts their special needs hounds; he was taking meds for a thyroid condition. the group had a special paypal address to help with the cost of his care (his meds were about $10 a month). they do this for all of their IR hounds, and i figured that while i don't have much money, if $10 can cover his monthly meds, i certainly can do that, so i donated. his page has a bunch of great pictures that make you melt. either his foster dad is a great photographer, or there's something about Sonny that leaps off the screen and moves you. see?

sonny1.jpg

sonny3.jpg

sonny9.jpg

of course, there's more pictures on his page and there's some really great shots.

usually about once or twice a week, i would check back on him to see if there were any updates on how he's doing. there hadn't been anything new since 11/30, and when i went to check on him today, i found this update:

It is with deep sadness that we report Sonny has been diagnosed with Osteosarcoma in his left shoulder. He will be cherished and loved in his forever foster home and kept as comfortable as possible for as long as possible.

it's funny in a way how one can be immediately reduced to tears for a dog that you've never even had the pleasure of meeting. everything dies, i get that, but this one really hits me for some unexplainable reason. he never got his "forever" home, although i have NO doubt that he's loved in his foster home; you can tell from the pix that he clearly is. maybe part of it also has to do with the fact that he looks a lot like my first and only foster who was a very good boy. i had always kinda hoped in the back of my mind that he'd improve and i'd be available to adopt him.

this particular group is having a meet and greet tonight at the star center (the ice rink where the wife coaches). i may go up there; i know that he won't be there, but perhaps there will be someone there who knows his foster dad. maybe i can meet him before he passes away. i don't really know if i want to meet him because it may make it harder to deal with. perhaps i'll just keep donating as much as i can to his cause. i have to say that to a small extent i feel like the lamest and weakest person in the world for spouting on about this, but that's okay i guess. i know that many would read this and think "dude, it's a dog. and not even your dog. get over it!" and that's okay, i guess. i guess i'm just glad i'm not the person who would immediately think that.

anyway, Sonny, i'll be thinking of you.

your pal,

sully

I did get to meet his foster dad at a meet and greet, but Sonny passed before I got the chance to meet him. I got an email tonight that Sonny had gone to the bridge. My heart is broken, not just for Sonny, but for his foster dad as well. I've never had to deal with this directly just yet, but I now have a slight idea of how it will eventually feel.

I hope you're running fast and free Sonny.

your pal always,

sully

:( So sad. Run free, Sonny.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Oh Sonny...run with our Angels at the Bridge...loved always. :(:grouphug:f_red

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

:f_red

Sonny, run free and know that you touched so many people's hearts, who never met you, through your pictures.

Alicia and Foster Yoshi ( pit bull) 

Always in my heart: WV's Milky Way 6/25/2000- 4/22/2013, Hank ( St Bernard/Boxer) ???? - 10/3/2017 and Sweet Pea (English bulldog)  2004 - 6/19/2019

www.etsy.com/your/shops/MuttStuffnc

"dude, it's a dog. and not even your dog. get over it!"

But, we all know - that greys aren't "just dogs" - they're special... you can see it in their eyes.

You were able to see that in Sonny, and helped him out - without even meeting him.

I'm sure your heart is aching - and that's ok (we still think you're cool :) )

You must have a very GOOD heart...

Godspeed Sonny.

Oh my, those eyes. What a stunning grey to enter that gate over the rainbow. Thanks for posting. Until we all meet n greet one day, run free sweet angel. :f_red:f_red

Guest jettcricket

Your post brought tears to my eyes....what a beautiful boy. They have such a profound effect us, don't they? Such an incredibly special, nobal breed. Run free Sonny...your home now. :gh_run

Edited by jettcricket

Guest vahoundlover

I don't think your crazy....I feel this way about Harry one of the OC dogs....I will cherish him forever in my heart as you will Sonny....

Godspeed Sonny f_yellow

Run free sweet Sonny boy....

Thank you for posting about this wonderful boy, I never met Sonny but he touched our lives as well. He was my Andy-man's half brother.

You can tell in his pictures what a sweet, happy boy he was and I know his forever foster dad gave him that security and joy.

God bless...

Kelly and the boys

Andy (Full Details), Savage (SanTan SavageTry), Tag (C Ya Tag Heuer), Hamlet (Huntington's Monarch Hamlet),

and Cleopatra (Huntington's Cleopatra)

Never forgotten & Always in my heart, Shawn (Call Me Gone) 02/09/99 - 03/23/06

and Josh (Great Contender*) 01/11/98 - 11/29/07

6be773b747390028badb20f184e30be3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest GreytnTX

I just saw this here. I also followed Sonny's story on the GALT website - and was stunned and sad when I saw that he had passed so soon. He seemed like such a vibrant boy in his pics I guess I thought he would somehow beat it. Though I'm saddened by his loss and that he never got to find his forever couch (although it sounds like he really already had in his foster's home) I'm happy to know he is running pain free at the Bridge.

Guest SquanHound

Your post brought tears to my eyes....what a beautiful boy. They have such a profound effect us, don't they?

they do, indeed.

Tears here too. I am so sorry for your loss. You are increadibly sweet and gentled hearted to have cared for Sonny from afar. Run free sweet boy!

Guest Chynagirl

I don't think there's a person on here that thinks you're crazy. Even if we've never met them, it touches all our hearts when one is suffering, lost or has gone to the bridge.

God speed sweet Sonny. Run free. :gh_run