Blackheads On William's Belly

Guest UESBrindle

Guest UESBrindle

When we brought William home, he had what we thought was just a patch of rough skin under his belly.

When we took him to the vet 2 weeks after we got him, and she said it looked like blackheads, and would probably go away after a good wash.

We washed him for the first time last night, and especially washed his "acne" area. I'm able to squeeze the gook out of some of them, and once the redness goes away, it looks much better.

It was originally about a 2x3" patch of very, very densely situated black spots right under the skin. Most of the squeese got only black stuff, and a few extracted some white pus-like substance.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there anything else I should be doing/using to help clear this up?

Thanks!

Elizabeth

Guest SkinnyLegDogLover

Blackheads are pretty common in greys. If you search blackheads in this forum you will get lots of good advice.

Usually keeping the area clean with a warm compress and maybe an alcohol swipe helps. :)

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Here's my post on it --- Link

I just left them alone - they are soft and his belly hair has pretty much covered them up. And I'm kind of grossed about them anyway :lol

Guest myneedlenose

Mayhem has a passel of them on his sternal area. I have cleaned them out on more than one occasion but they keep coming back in our case. He now gets all growly and snappy if I mess with them, I just leave well enough alone, if they don't bother him, they don't bother me!

Guest KennelMom

Stella is the only one in our crew that came with a patch of them and they always come back. I guess some greys are just more prone than others. Anyhoo...when there gets to be a patch of them, I apply a warm washcloth for a 5 minutes or so and then squeeze them out. They always come back, but if I let it go the patch will just get bigger and bigger...unsightly. She doesn't mind the squeeze sessions at all, in fact she usually dozes off.

Guest TBSFlame
We don't usually do anything. If they don't bother him, they don't bother me. He's really tolerant if I mess with them, though

They drive me crazy. :crazy Warm compress. Beecher would lay on his back for me to mess with his tummy. It took a while but I got most of them. :lol

I use Stridex sensitve skin on my Kelsey. About every other day I would use two. They have really cleared up a lot in the year we have had her, but there are a few that are being very stubborn and I don't think will ever go away. She doesn't mind my messing with them, as a matter of fact, she thinks it is a belly rub and likes it.

Payton had a ton when he came home. I cleared out the worst of them, but he still has a lot. He does not like it when I pick at them, so I just leave them alone.

Melanie and Eric with Leminim and Eieio and silly kitty Elsa.
See you again someday, my sweet Payton (Flying Payton May 9, 2000-March 18, 2012)
Missing my sweet JJ, world's sweetest cat (April 1997-November 30, 2015)

Stealing food in heaven, my darling Minnie (2006-April 21, 2016)
Reunited with her favorite person in heaven, my Dad, Satin the skittish kitty (2002-May 7, 2016)

I mostly leave Grace's alone...but every once in a while I'll squeeze a bunch of the black gunk out. If I squeeze it out, they do come back...but I don't notice it spreading at all.

One thing that I do make sure of though is that my hands/nails are very clean before I start working on her tummy, and then I clean with some bactine afterwards. Don't want that area to get infected!

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Guest mtnbluebird

EEEW! I just followed the link Spencer posted and Folsom's got the same thing! I thought it was veins near the surface of his skin since it was purplish blue and squiggly looking. Poor dog's got blackheads! Folsom loves bellyrubs, so I bet a warm bellyrub will be even better. ::grossed out::

Guest ArtysPeople

Arty's never had any blackheads on his chest, so when I noticed this blackish thing protruding on the thin bit of skin between his, ah, sheath and his tummy, I thought it was really weird. I applied a bit of pressure from the other side of the thin bit of skin (Arty started looking at me really weird at this point, because doing this meant I had to cup his sheath) and all this thick black gunk came out, and finally a few little hairs. Because of the position, I thought it might be a suture from his neuter that was being pushed out, so I saved the black gunk in a baggie to show someone who is vet-medicine and grey-savvy . . . it was a blackhead! :P I was really surprised because the stuff that came out was nothing like what comes out of a human blackhead, and it just kept coming and coming! :puke

Verns went away completely on their own...

When we brought William home, he had what we thought was just a patch of rough skin under his belly.

When we took him to the vet 2 weeks after we got him, and she said it looked like blackheads, and would probably go away after a good wash.

We washed him for the first time last night, and especially washed his "acne" area. I'm able to squeeze the gook out of some of them, and once the redness goes away, it looks much better.

It was originally about a 2x3" patch of very, very densely situated black spots right under the skin. Most of the squeese got only black stuff, and a few extracted some white pus-like substance.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there anything else I should be doing/using to help clear this up?

Thanks!

Elizabeth

Guest slade

My sister raises chinese Crested (hairless dogs) they are very bad about this. She has to remove them or they become hard and causes scaring. Since these dogs don't have hair it is necessary. She put lotion on them to keep their skin soft. It makes it easier to get rid of them also.

Guest alf7199

does anyone know about using tea tree oil on these large masses? i use some on my face when the breakouts happen but didn't know about greyhounds, if you could use OTC acne treatment I would think it might work but wanted to know if anyone knew from experience. thanks