Over-vaccinating?

Guest janlove

Guest janlove

Hello Everyone!

I am a new Greyhound owner, and wanted to get people's thoughts on vaccinations. I recently spoke to someone who has owned 6 Greyhound's in her life, and has lost 3 of them to Cancer. One thing she warned me of, is not to over-vaccinate! I'm confused as to what exactly she meant by that :unsure.

What vaccinations do people think are necessary, and what vaccinations can Grey's do without?

Thanks to everyone in advance for all your input!

Edited by janlove

Here are the guidelines according to the vet association and quite a few opinions:

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php?showtopic=128246&hl=

My personal opinion is that many over vaccinate in all breeds, and I believe the high incidence of cancer in greys is due to over vaccinating and undiagnosed (or diagnosed) Tick Borne Diseases (which lower the immune system).

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Hello Everyone!

I am a new Greyhound owner, and wanted to get people's thoughts on vaccinations. I recently spoke to someone who has owned 6 Greyhound's in her life, and has lost 3 of them to Cancer. One thing she warned me of, is not to over-vaccinate! I'm confused as to what exactly she meant by that :unsure.

What vaccinations do people think are necessary, and what vaccinations can Grey's do without?

Thanks to everyone in advance for all your input!

You'll obviously want to make sure you're compliant with state law for vaccinations as well. I was so pleased when Indiana changed to the three-year rabies vaccination as I felt as though the annual shots were overdoing it.

Guest terri643
Also, what does everyone feel about the LYME vaccination?

Our vet recommends -- and Jasper and Lily get -- the Lyme vaccine. We live in Massachusetts in a high tick/Lyme disease area. Otherwise, they would not be getting this one.

Guest HeatherDemps

I don't do the Lyme vaccination because it hasn't been an issue much in my area. The only one I do anymore is the 3-year rabies vaccination because it is required by law. My grey will be 12 next month and I'd prefer now to not even do that one!

We are also only doing the 3-year rabies vaccine. Both dogs have gotten the annual vaccines before I knew better and I would never do that now.

Some websites that have updated vaccine protocols:

AAHA guidelines (it's a lot of info but scroll down to the table in the PDF document)

Jean Dodds' recommendations (she is a very respected in the world of canine health issues)

Guest FullMetalFrank

Our new vet just gave Frank his yearly check-up and vaccinations and recommended a three year all-in-one (I think it's called DLTPP?) instead of the yearly shot. We did that and the three year rabies. I never knew there was a three year version of the other; vet recommended it because Frank is a senior now and he advises against over-vaccination. I think I am going to like our new vet.

There is a good deal of Lyme Disease here, but I don't vaccinate for it. The efficacy of the vaccine really isn't high enough to do much good. My vet doesn't recommend the vaccine, either.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

I believe the people on the tick list are anti lyme vaccine. If you join you can read the archives.

I, too, spread the vaccines out when I do vaccinate. For instance, I'll do the rabies, then at least two weeks before other vaccines. I like to split them if possible, rather than do a combined.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest EmilyAnne

My understanding of the Rabies vaccine is there is no difference between the three year and one year vaccine, except the testing carried out for it. Call me paranoid, but it looks to me almost like the vaccine company is trying to cover up the fact that our dogs never needed one year vaccines. It looks like research is showing our dogs never needed any of the vaccines more than every three years. In fact, some dogs still have sufficient immunity after seven years!

I started a topic a few days ago on the what is the difference between the one year and three year Rabies vaccine: http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php?showtopic=192378

In fact, some dogs still have sufficient immunity after seven years!

Yes! They are doing a study to prove this now: http://www.rabieschallengefund.org/ Obviously it will take a while for it to be complete though.

I do kind of understand that for many dog owners the vaccines are the only reason they come into the vets on a regular basis. Even though we don't vaccinate annually I still take my dogs in for a wellness check, weigh-in, and potentially some blood work.

I don't vaccinate for Lyme even though I live in a state with a very high incidence of Lyme. I live in a city, outside of the hot spots. If we travel into the country during tick season, then I use Frontline. Even though I know many people & dogs that have been infected with Lyme, it does not seem nearly as scary as the other TBDs that commonly affect greyhounds, Ehrlichia & Babesia.

Guest rubysdad

I don't vaccinate for Lyme even though I live in a state with a very high incidence of Lyme. I live in a city, outside of the hot spots. If we travel into the country during tick season, then I use Frontline. Even though I know many people & dogs that have been infected with Lyme, it does not seem nearly as scary as the other TBDs that commonly affect greyhounds, Ehrlichia & Babesia.

I was told not to use frontfine on greyhounds because they have no fat and frontline will travel right to their organs. We use the lyme vaccine.

I was told not to use frontfine on greyhounds because they have no fat and frontline will travel right to their organs. We use the lyme vaccine.

You were told wrong ;) Frontline Plus is one of the safer flea/tick preventatives out there. I hope that if you don't use it, you're at least using a Preventic collar. Those are greyhound-safe (at least, according to what I've read). Ticks aren't something to mess with and there are many more diseases ticks carry that a Lyme vax will not help.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

There ARE two versions of rabies vaccines. They may or may not be identical, but some are sold as a 1 year and some as 3 year. The woman from the State of Texas explained to me that three year vaccines usually have three in their name. Example for a couple of on line sources that sell rabies for the states where it does not have to be dministered by the vet.

Rabvac3 -- Fort Dodge -- 3year $11.95 at one supplier

Defensor3 -- Pfizer -- 3 year $11.95 at supplier

Rabdomun -- Schering Plough -- 1 year $12.95 at supplier

She did tell me that most vets just order the three year even if laws require 1 year because more is made (about 40 states have gone to three year) and they can get it cheaper.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Call me paranoid, but it looks to me almost like the vaccine company is trying to cover up the fact that our dogs never needed one year vaccines. It looks like research is showing our dogs never needed any of the vaccines more than every three years. In fact, some dogs still have sufficient immunity after seven years!

The vaccine companies are not the ones making the call here. They are offering products and have all but quit producing the one year vaccine. It is the states and the vets that are making the call. One of the reasons they still make the one is that there are vets in 2 and 3 year states that WANT to give a one because the person has to come back in a year.

I deal with vets all day everyday getting shot records. Texas is a 3 year state and there are vets that will only give one year rabies to mature dogs with vaccination histories. They are ripping off the client as well as doing the dog a disservice.

With DHLPP (no to corona and lyme for me ESPECIALLY corona). Vets disagree if it is good for one, two, or three years.

My first grey died of Immune mediated hemolytic anemia after her shots and it was a terrible death. We went to 3 year on DHLPP then and not boosters on that after 7 or 8. Will always keep rabies per the law and it seems rabies isn't usually the problem maker...it's the 4-5-6-7 way cocktail. Some prefer to spread those out but I can't afford it.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest EmilyAnne
There ARE two versions of rabies vaccines. They may or may not be identical, but some are sold as a 1 year and some as 3 year. The woman from the State of Texas explained to me that three year vaccines usually have three in their name. Example for a couple of on line sources that sell rabies for the states where it does not have to be dministered by the vet.

Rabvac3 -- Fort Dodge -- 3year $11.95 at one supplier

Defensor3 -- Pfizer -- 3 year $11.95 at supplier

Rabdomun -- Schering Plough -- 1 year $12.95 at supplier

She did tell me that most vets just order the three year even if laws require 1 year because more is made (about 40 states have gone to three year) and they can get it cheaper.

But is there a differnece between the vaccines besides the fact that one says 'one year' and the other says 'three year'?

My understanding is the ONLY difference between the two is the testing that was done for it. That's it.

Guest lizmego

I have all seniors here (11, 10 and 9) and only give the rabies every 3 years b/c its mandated by law. I do not give any boosters for any other vaccinations. They are not boarded and not typically around any other dogs for any period of time (no dog parks). They also get Interceptor monthly year round and Frontline Plus applied every 3 months starting in April and until the first frost.

My three are 8, 9 and 9. We have gone from 3 year to now doing titers. They are on monthly heartworm preventative and see their vet every six months for a check up and blood work. If interested here is Dr. Dodd's view link

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg