Letter To Our Tiger Puppanupalous

Guest nancer2k

Guest nancer2k
Dear Tiger Puppanupalous

We are cat people.  My husband and I adore kitties and we were mystified by folks who wanted to live with barky, smelly (ok, a cat box is not a flower garden), needy, slobbery, biting, jumping doggy critters.

Then one day I watched Animal Planet and saw a story about a lady who flew greyhounds to their new adoptive homes.  That was all it took to grab my interest and from there I started surfing the internet and reading about greyhounds.  After about a year of this I mentioned the idea of adopting our own grey to my husband whose first words were on the order of  “Are you out of your mind? We can’t have a dog with our cats!”

All I had to do was take him to a Petsmart M&G where we saw our first greyhounds in real life.  We fell hard for these unique, beautiful creatures.  After being assured that the group could find us a hound that wouldn’t eat our cats, we filled out our application, had our home visit and then we waited….and waited…and waited.

Finally the call came and the group director told me that they had two dogs to choose from who were cat safe.  I remember asking how this would work, would we meet the dogs and get one right away or what?  He laughed and said “Oh you’ll be going home with a dog!”

When we arrived at the Director’s house we knocked on the door and immediately heard some barking and lots of shuffling.  The door opened about an inch and a voice said “hold on we have to hold the dogs!”  The door opened a little wider and my DH and I squeezed  inside.  There were two people and SEVEN HUMONGOUS dogs!  As I was greeting the dogs and people I glanced behind me and saw my DH kneeling on the floor with the head of a beautiful brindle in his lap.  I thought “Uh Oh, I sure hope that’s one of the adoptable ones.”  Well of course that was you Tiger, our heart dog.

The adoption group told us that you were five years old and had been found wandering the streets by the Humane Society.  You were wearing a collar and tags but when your owner was contacted he/she said that a neighbor had been watching you while they were on vacation, you escaped their yard and they, the owners, decided they didn’t want you back.  That was OUR lucky day.  A cute female cow doggie was pointed out to me as the other choice but one look at my DH with you Tiger and the choice was made.  Later my DH said “there was another one there?”  He didn’t even know there were two.

I’ll never forget the first day we brought you home!  The kitties were freaked and disappeared for about a week, but you were so good, you never made the first move towards them.  After a while Rosie would rub up against you and try to clean your feet and ears. 

You were the perfect first pup for dog ignorant cat people!  You never even tried to get on the furniture, you were happy on your own bed. You never wanted to share your bed and would stand up real fast if a kitty tried to sleep with you.  You seldom barked but you loved to play with your stuffy in the yard and go for long walks in the neighborhood.  You never chewed anything but cat toys and the only accident you had in the house was when you had colitis, which of course wasn’t your fault.

The only times you were upset was during thunderstorms when you would pant and pace till you wore yourself out.  You also had an aversion to brooms and bathrooms. I can only imagine why and it’s not good.  So when I had to sweep up cookie crumbs from around your bed you would leave the room at first until you understood that the broom would never touch you.  You were also never made to enter another bathroom, ever.

When you were diagnosed with Osteosarcoma, we were so angry and heartbroken, angry that you had this crappy disease and heartbroken that we would lose you.  Then DH pointed out that two years with you was better than never having known you at all and so we tried to make those last few months as fun and pain free as possible with 2 walks per day, lots of treats, pats and ear scritches.

The thing we miss most is that every time we walked in the door, we were greeted with the biggest greyhound grin, the kind with rows and rows of teeth.  You traveled with me to Alabama, Texas and countless meet and greets.  You asked for so little and gave so much!  I just hope you knew that for the two years you spent in our home you were loved madly, deeply and forever.

Please wait for us at the bridge,

The Mom, The Dad, Zena, Mrdexter and the Kitties

Tiger aka Bag of Bets (May 26, 1997-Nov. 12, 2004)

4687Muscle_Man.jpg

Oh Tiger...you are so loved and missed! Run free and healthy until you meet your family once again. :f_red

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

:weep What a very touching tribute to your precious boy. So very sorry for your loss. :bighug I'm sure he knows how much he was loved and cherished, and will forever be in your hearts... :beatheartGodspeed, sweet Tiger...

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

What a beautiful and touching letter. I am so sorry. :grouphugf_yellow

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Guest Greymom
:( I have tears in my eyes reading this loving tribute. Take comfort in knowing how loved he was for the two years he was with you. Run free Tiger, until we meet again. :f_white