Had A Thought About Rainbows.....

Guest Becki

First, Max has not gone to the Bridge. I was talking about him today, though, and how he came to live with us. I want to tell you a little story about a bridge boy, first, and the role I realized he played in bringing Maxie home.

First, this is my bubba, Brandy.

june03_0018.jpg

He was my baby from the age of eight weeks until he passed away, two weeks short of seventeen. He was here for middle school, high school, first boyfriend, college, more boyfriends, DH, more moves, and two babies. Little ones learned to walk by holding onto his back as he patiently stood by them. He was loyal, devoted, and a true joy. When he left, I was heart broken. We had two other dogs and when they passed away, I was done with them. It was too hard to lose them, or so I thought.

Time went on, a whole six months passed and I realized I was lonely. I missed the love and companionship that is unique to a dog that is too big to be a lap dog in anyone's mind but his. We applied to adopt a grey and were turned down. I was heart broken again, and felt it was confirmation we should stick with the plan of down sizing our pack as time naturally progressed. Six more weeks passed and I thought maybe the people that turned us down might have been wrong. We approached another adoption group. We reviewed the concerns of the first group. We were tentatively approved, but our youngest child was one year too young for their guidelines. We could make a formal application the following January.

Time went on, another six weeks had passed. There was still a hollow, open spot in our home, but we weren't looking to fill it. We had decided, if it was meant to be, it would happen and we weren't going to worry for at least another six months.

One day, while I was at GT, I opened a thread about a mix in an Ohio shelter. I never opened those threads. It was too far to get a dog from OH to MN, so it wasn't even realistic to look. Something compelled me to open it, though, and inside was a pathetic picture of a poor pup on death row. He had been in the shelter for three months or better and his time was running out.

I sent the link to DH at work. He emailed to ask if I had filled out the application. We decided there must be a reason this sad soul struck us so completely. The application was filled out and submitted online. The next morning, I made some follow up calls on him, which was a good thing since they hadn't been able to access our online application. At 11, our adoption was approved. At 1, they got the euthanasia list for the day. Our new guy was number eight. By the mere breadth of two hours, he was safe.

A few days later, after five drivers and more than nineteen hours in cars, he was home. I met him near a freeway three hours from home. Instead of the sad, yellow dog I was looking for, a big red pup with perky, but floppy, black ears hopped out of the truck. His color was very reminiscent of my bubba, Brandy.

This was Max, the day he came home:

jun03_0048.jpg

For the past year and a half, when we stopped to consider the name he had before he came to us, we have joked how such a manly, alpha, boy dog had such a feminine name at the shelter. It never made sense. He is more like a Butch or a Bubba, not much is soft and sweet about him. I can see him, as a human, in flannel shirts and torn jeans. Designer slacks and button down shirts wouldn't happen come to mind, as they do when I think of his name.

Since he arrived, I have wondered if Brandy would approve. I had thought he would. They share similar characteristics. Max has filled the empty spot in our home and reminded me it is ok to love another. It doesn't take away one iota from how I felt about Brandy. I have worried, though, why I never had a sign from Brandy that is was ok. I have worried because Brandy's last year was more difficult than it should have been and his death wasn't the easy one that I wanted for him. I have worried, even though it made no sense, that maybe Brandy had been so happy to leave me, he hadn't bothered to look back once he started on his journey to the Bridge.

Today, I realized how foolish I was. The sign has been here for a very long time, since June 5, 2003, anyway, when we stumbled on a little pup who needed a home that we could provide; a little pup named Rainbow.

Thank you!

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

What a touching tribute to both of your pups.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

What a touching story. I have to agree...they always send us signs but sometimes we don't see them at first. Your babes and their pictures just warm my heart. :wub::grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest auntiesara

What a touching story! I know that our Angels have helped us pick out the next generation even in cases where the new one was very ill and our Angels knew we would nurse them back to health or give them a home for the little time thy had left.

Sara

Guest D_MansMommy

Thanks for sharing such a touching story. I did not know Max's story because I joined Gt a couple months after. Your angel Brandy looks like such a sweetheart and Max :wub:

Edited by D_Mans mommy