Tragedy At Matt &sadie's House

Guest auntiesara

Guest auntiesara

I was rushing yesterday morning to get Tango to the vet for her dental so I forgot to lock Geoffrey's cage. He is a wild caught Goffin's Cockatoo over 15 years old. I was never able to tame him. My two Cockateils lived in a cage where they could see and hear each other. A few months ago Geoffrey had gotten out of his cage, pulled out a metal seed cup and I found him sitting happily with his little brothers. I locked G's cage at 11 yesterday and went to work. Ten minutes later Charlie called to tell me that Quillan's leg was broken and there were blood and feathers everywhere.He tried to help hom and gave him marvel-aid but he died in his hand. Apparently Geoffrey bit his foot through the cage and he struggled to get away. I know Geoffrey didn't mean to kill his friend. Please send prayers for Sammy the remaining Cockateil-he came home from the pet store to a whole flock( I lost 2 females to natural causes)

Sara

Oh no...I am so very sorry. Fly free sweetie...Fly with the Angels at the Bridge...Many prayers... :(f_yellow

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

How tragic. I'm so very sorry for your loss. I too, coincidentally, have a cockatoo named Jeffrey. He used to have a little pal, a Sun Conure named Teddy. They loved each other to pieces and slept snuggled together every night. As Jeffrey started to mature he plucked Teddy's head bald. I couldn't keep them apart and I was really concerned that Jeffrey would hurt him without meaning to. I finally found Teddy a new home, for his own safety. I know your Geoffrey didn't mean to hurt his friend any more than my Jeffrey did, but I think they just don't understand the size difference and how fragile the little ones can be. Again, I am so very sorry. :grouphugf_yellow

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Oh no, what a tragedy to go thru.My heart sank when I read it.My heartfelt sympathy for you and Charlie.That had to be such and awful experience.Remember what you always say "We WILL see them flying over the rainbow!"in that beautiul field of daisies. :f_white:f_white:f_white:f_white

Guest auntiesara

Thanks to everyone for their kind words. Little Sammy woke up at dawn and sang all his songs including the first few bars of classical music that a neighbor used to practice over and over. I know he has been reunited with his wife Quillan (we got her at Woolworths and neither of us or the sales person knew how to sex them-namesake Quentin Crisp- our Brittish friends know of him) at the Bridge.

Sara

edited for spelling

Edited by auntiesara

Guest auntiesara

Sammy has been spending most of his time at the corner of his cage where he is closest to Geoffrey. I'm trying to double check the lock religiously now. There is enough space between the cages that Geoffrey can't reach through and hurt Sammy.

Sara

• 3 weeks later...
Guest adriahna

So sorry to hear the bad news, Sara - I'm a bird owner myself, and feel your pain. We both know Geoffrey didn't mean to hurt Quillan - these things happen, don't feel bad.

f_yellow

By the way, Quillan's a wonderful name - Quentin Crisp was one of my heroes! I'll never, ever forget the day I saw him strolling through the East Village in Manhattan - I didn't want to bother him, but just sort of watched from a distance, delighting in his gingerly walk and all around aura!!! He was a wonderful man.

Guest auntiesara

We named Quentin after Mr Crisp because the cockateil crest reminded me of the human Quentin's hairstyle. Quillan was the second cocky and I was searching for a name that began with "Q". I'm glad someone knew who I meant.... Our house is quieter, since Geoffrey doesn't answer Sammy when he sings. He recently learned the fanfare sound for baseball games even though we don't watch sports-he learned it from the radio. I feel sad with only one little birdie in the big cage.... it looks so empty....

Sara