Brogan...one Year Anniversary

Guest Heehoo

Guest Snowy8

One year ago this weekend, Brogan died. He crossed the bridge with me holding his big paw & Dr Blackburn standing nearby. The big 13 yr old blue with the most soulful eyes had been bitten on the back leg by a spider. Swelling set in, then gangrene...he was too weak in the hind quarters to stand on 3 legs, and we knew he'd never recover....so together we made the decision to help him across the bridge where there would be no swelling & no more pain. He'd be strong & he'd run free with the wind in his ears & a song in his heart.

Brogan came to me 3 yrs earlier...his present owners (#4) were moving to Florida & they couldn't take him at this time, they wanted to foster him for 6 months. MSGAO called & asked me if I could foster him for 6 months w/out getting attached to him. I said I would. For precautions...they had the current owners sign an owner transfer just in case they didn't come back. That was in May. In July, I received a call that Brogan was mine if I wanted him. I think when I got home from work that day, Brogan knew he'd been turned over to me forever. I promised I'd be the last person he'd ever love.

When Brogan was a pup, he was a sort of brown brindle with a little blue mixed in. He had these huge white feet and a white chest with a white snip down his face. He had the most huge brown eyes I ever saw. He could be in the living room into something & I'd say What are you doing? He'd lay those soft ears back & look at me with that...nothing mommie, look. Melted my heart everytime.

He had a stride that was so long, he could cross the yard in 3 leaps. He loved to run, over at the adoption kennel there is a picture hanging over Jan's desk of Brogan, Pegasus & Snowy running...it appears sometimes that his stride is as long as Pegasus & Snowy's stretch together.

About a year before he passed, we noticed a limp. Dr B & I both studied his walk, he even got down on the floor to watch how his paw touched the floor & as we studied, we realized it wasn't his shoulder...it was his toe. We amputated the toe the next day, he came home on the 2nd day & never missed a beat. He ran & played in the back yard as if nothing was wrong.

Then last year he began to limp again. I took him to the vet, we found nothing wrong, nothing. He went ahead & started rimadyl & that worked for a couple of days & suddenly he wouldn't put the paw down at all. By Thursday the paw was so swollen...and the skin was bursting.

By Sunday Dr B called & said its time. The gangrene is moving way too fast...he's dying before our eyes. So we let go. I sat with his face in my hands & told him I was sorry, that I loved him forever & I will never forget him.

Dc's Brogan...May 18, 1990 - June 1, 2003.....my big pupper.

Edited by snowy8

Guest littlemouse1958
f_yellow Sweet Brogan and Sweet Kit-Kat met at The Bridge one year ago. I know they're having a good time together. We miss you both dearly.

I'm so sorry. I'm sure Brogan knows he's loved and missed very much.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Guest Annie

Snowy8, what a beautiful tribute to your precious boy, Brogan. Bless you, for your loving generous heart- it is never too late to provide a pupper with his very own forever home.

Now, as he runs and plays painlessly at the Bridge, he too has joyous memories to share of being loved.

Guest BellaDonna1

Time does march on.....I can not believe it has been one year. Brogan was one special grey and had a heart that was as big as this world. This is why I love pictures of my precious babies because everymorning I walk in and smile because Brogan is smiling back at me. Run free Brogan and take care of all the other precious angels with you...

Guest how888

What a beautiful tribute, I ache for you for I know how painful their loss can be no matter if it's 1 day or 1 year. They always hold that forever,special place in our hearts. :f_red

Edited by how888

Guest argolola

What a beautiful boy you were, Brogan. You mom loved you very much. Run free at the bridge...until you meet again.

That is such a beautiful tribute to your boy.

Thank you for sharing and caring with me since I lost Rascal.

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

I am so sorry... :grouphug:f_red:f_whitef_yellow

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest auntiesara

What a beautiful tribute for a special boy. I truly believe we WILL see them again....

Sara

Edited by auntiesara

Guest HHDesigns

Oh, has it been a year??? Sweet Brogan boy... how we miss him. He is running free with Bella, Bool, and all the rest of them! Love you Hilda Mae!!!

Guest Snowy8

Thank you all for such sweet & supportive words. I still look in the living room & can see him taking up more than half of the couch & then looking at me with those soft brown eyes.

It was 4 yrs ago this month that I met him, he came barreling into the adoption kennel office & peeled back that top lip to grin at me...I thought he was a clydesdale horse...four white feet & a big deep white chest. He quietly rode home in the back seat of my cavalier & when I walked in the house with him, he chose the same couch in that picture to lay on like he knew he was in his own home.

For those in the MSGAO area, whenever you come in Jan's office, that huge picture of the 3 greyhounds running...the blue/grey one is Brogan...he loved to run. :gh_run:brokenheart

Guest Snowy8

You know they are...they're all up there eating ice cream & laying in the shade on overstuffed couches ...windchimes are tinkling & bunnies are running around. Everything is soft & cool...treats & kongs are hanging from the trees & only good memories are allowed.

Guest BellaDonna1
:colgate:colgate Those ears, LOVED those ears. I have that picture and in fact I think that picture was the one we used with the cookbook. Thanks Hilda for loving Brogan and giving him the best years of his life. jan

Guest Snowy8

Same face, same ears...different picture. ha ha ha Those were his wind flaps so when he got to running too fast, he could slow down...just like the race cars. :gh_lay

Guest how888

Some day, Some where, Some how, we will all meet again sweet Brogan.Hope you and Howie are up there having the best time of your life. :f_red:f_red