Preparing Remaining Dog For A Loss-

Guest Echobelly

Guest Echobelly

We just got the bad news that Lily has bladder cancer and probably has just a few months. Is there any way to try to prepare our other grey, Echo? They have been together constantly for 10 years. Also, Echo is especially sensitive and needy. I was reading a book that suggested having the ill dog put to sleep at home when the time has come, if possible, so the remaining dog could be with it and understand what had happened. My vet said that is possible, but I'm not sure. It might be less confusing for Echo, so that all of a sudden Lily doesn't just disappear. I understand this is an awkward topic, but if any of you have any suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated.

Guest GreyAngel

Give them both a lot of attention. Let them spend time together for the next few months. I'm sorry to hear about your dog. It is hard. My dog died 3 years ago. She died of heart failure at 3 years old. Our other dog needed time to get over it and we gave her as much attention as we could. Just hang in there. Sending hugs...:bighug

GreyAngel :angelwings

Guest Furmama

Wow, the Vet said it is possible to do it at home?? That sounds very comforting to me for some reason, I honestly think that if it were me, I would take that option. I also agree that Echo would "get" what has happened, they are very smart and I think if he was there and she died, he would understand rather than her just never coming home.... Just my thoughts, so sorry to hear about this.... :grouphug:sad1

Edited by Bomber's Mama

I have not been in your situation, but I think I agree that Echo may understand better if it's done at home.

I've already talked to my vet to make sure that when the time comes, my Bailey will be in her own comfortable home. I don't want her last minutes to be stressed out in the vet's office. I feel lucky that my vet has agreed to this....

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest greythunder

I think at home in familiar surroundings, and with her best friend with her would be a wonderful way to cross the bridge. I think Echo would understand better, and not feel so lost or so scared. Have you talked to your adoption group, and let them know what is happening, so that they can help you to deal with the loss, and maybe to help you recover with another grey?? I am sure that the one who is sick would want you to give another grey a needed home!

Guest KaseysMom

I'll get personal. We've been through this twice, in different ways. We had three keeshonds, two had been together constantly for 8 years, Bear and Sarah. Grayson was 2 at the time. Grayson followed us around and didn't want to have anything to do with them. They on the other hand were best buddies. Sarah suddenly got very ill on a Saturday morning and we rushed her to our vet. She was diagnosed with Hyper...anemia, and was in critical care until she passed away at the vet school (while I was on the phone with her doctor--I can still hear the heartbeat monitor stop :( ). DH and I went to the vet school and took her body home so we could bury her. We allowed Bear to have private time with her, and he came over to the coffin box the vet school gave us. We had removed the lid. He came over and sniffed and stared for a brief minute, then turned and went back in to the house. While he did not show signs of depression, he immediately started following us around just like Grayson was already doing. I think having another dog helped in his situation.

Fast forward 8 years. Yes, Bear was 16 years old, and it was time to help him to the bridge. Our vet came to our house. We kept Grayson in another room til he had passed. It was very peaceful. He was asleep in his bed when Dr. Amy came. He licked her hand, then went back to sleep, though this time forever. I'm sure he's with his beloved Sarah. We allowed Grayson to see him, but honestly, she didn't seem to care. She showed no signs of depression. We waited two years, then adopted Kasey, our first greyhound. Grayson is definitely pleased to have another dog in the house. I should say when (since Grayson is 12 and Kasey is 6), but I'm going to say if, something should happen to Grayson, we will need to quickly get another dog for Kasey. She is very attached to Grayson.

Good luck. My heart aches for your situation. If I were in your shoes, I would not get another dog before anything happens, but would be prepared to allow the remaining dog to select another companion. :heart

Guest maryinmadison

A friend of mine had two malmutes. When one got sick, the vet told her that animals understand sickness and death. He came to the house and told them to make sure that the surviving dog was able to see the bridge dog so that the survivor "knew" what had happened. They did and everything went very smoothly for their surviving dog. Best wishes for you during this difficult time.

We had Joe put to sleep in our home. The vet and tech were very nice. We only had other cats at the time, and Jezebel (the oldest) was wonderful. She stayed with Joe, licking his ear and laying with him as he passed away. I think that it did help the animals understand, and I think that it was the most peaceful, personal, loving way to go.

Tami, Nikki & Gypsy (non-greyhounds, but still pretty good dogs.) Deeply missing Sunscreen Man, Angel (Back on the Job), Switzler Festus and Joe (Indio Starr)

Guest Echobelly

Thanks for all your help and understanding. I think we will have the vet come to the house when it's time, I had never heard of anyone doing this before. I do think it will make it a little easier on Echo. When we're all ready, we will let Echo choose another greyhound as a playmate. We considered getting a whippet, for the only reason that they are smaller. We have a 2nd floor condo in the city, and these dogs aren't easy to get out to the backyard if they've hurt themselves or just being stubborn. We thought, gee, wouldn't it be nice to be able to just pick up a dog and carry it down the stairs! After doing a little research and finding out how few whippets actually need to be rescued (sometimes not more than a dozen in the whole country!), it was a no-brainer that we would remain a grey household.