How To Keep Muzzle on Greyhound that Knows How to Get Out

There is a YouTube video and the NGA Manual that state one way to keep a muzzle on an escape artist is to "Slip thru a regular plastic racing collar on the back of the headpiece.  Does it go around the neck?  Anyone familiar with this procedure?  My girl keeps getting to her spay incision.

You need to use a buckle collar; a martingale is a closed loop, and you need a collar that only becomes a closed loop once you buckle it.

Feed one loose end of the collar through the strap of the muzzle, then fasten the collar. If she keeps trying to lick or chew her stitches, use duct tape over the relevant holes in the muzzle to keep her from reaching the stitches.

If you don't have a buckle collar, you can use a piece of ribbon or something like that. (Just tie a bow--not anything you'll have to cut loose.) The goal is to keep her from pulling the muzzle's strap over her head. If you can't slide the muzzle off once you've tied or buckled it, she won't be able to, either.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Your dog needs to wear a regular buckle type collar..not a martingale collar.  Just a regular old fashioned dog collar, done up normally around the dogs neck.

Put the muzzle on your dog.

Undo the buckle collar and loop it through the strap from the muzzle and do it back up again.  That video is taken at a bad angle for you to see it properly.

Alternatively, take a piece of string /thin rope and just tie the muzzle to the buckle collar and the muzzle.  This will hold the strap of the muzzle in place and she shouldn't be able to get it off over her head.

As mentioned you should put some duct tape on some of the holes of he muzzle as she can probably stick her tongue through them and lick her incision.

If you still can't figure it out please post again and I'm sure someone can take a better photo of what it should look like!

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

My girl was in your spot two years ago.  We went between the cone of shame and the stool guard muzzle.  You can also use a cat collar to attach the two.  I have take a few pictures without the gh wearing them Hope it helps you get a better picture of what you are trying to do.

image.jpeg.77881830f1b85eb0ddd2918ccff1b2e6.jpeg

Picture did not post see next post

Slide muzzle belt through collar and the buckle or with a regular buckle collar slide that through a buckled muzzle.  Need less to say one piece has to be on the dog first. ;) 

Edited by 1Moregrey
Added picture to next post