Tips to desensitize my dog with noises

Hi, I have been taking my 2 y/o grey to training with 5 other greys and its just not working. She is too anxious to be able to do any of the tasks during the training.

the trainer mentioned that she needs to get desensitised to noises and suggested i put my dogs food in a box (top open) and slowly drop food in there. unfortunately, she can’t even cope with me dropping food in and gets scared. She is always on alert that whenever she hears a car door close she runs to the window.

Has anyone experienced something similar? What did you find was the best way to desensitize your grey?

thanks

2 hours ago, Stellza said:

the trainer mentioned that she needs to get desensitised to noises and suggested i put my dogs food in a box (top open) and slowly drop food in there. unfortunately, she can’t even cope with me dropping food in and gets scared. She is always on alert that whenever she hears a car door close she runs to the window.

Without knowing more and from reading your other post.  Unless she has gotten used to and settled in previous mentioned ways freezing and such.  She may not be ready for classes.  She may need more time adjusting to not being in at the racing kennel.  A home vs racing kennel can take more time to get used to than most first time adopters realize.  Not all dogs adapt at the same rate.

If she is rock solid at home and nothing spooks or surprises her that is different.  Each different stage requires a different technique based on what works for your grey.

With more information I would be happy to offer ideas.

Hi @1Moregrey sorry i really didnt provide enough info.

She is very timid and submissive at home and always on alert, when she hears even the smallest noise (ie car door) her ears prick up and she runs to the window. That being said, she is generally a happy puppy!

re the box, the trainer suggested i put her food in a box to help her get used to sounds. I have never heard of this technique so I’m not sure if it even works.

shes also much better with freezing and separation anxiety, both are almost non existent. When on a walk she generally wants to avoid large, loud groups of people but we’re working on that.

she is definitely slowly adjusting to home life, and i agree that she probably still getting settled. I did mentioned this to the training place and asked if there was a point in going because she is anxious but they unfortunately said yes it should be no problem 🙄

Edited by Stellza

Thanks that helps me better understand.  In my opinion I think that she is a little to early for formal classes.  She might be more willing to participate if she has more time to adjust to her new environment.
 Is it a basic obedience class?  How is she doing in the class? Is she able to do anything or is she to reactive to noise to the point she has shut down?

I would of advised you to let her hang out at home and get used to the noises and take her to a variety of places and stay on the side (take her to a kids park and stay as far away from everyone) and just let her watch/listen when she seemed comfortable move a little closer give treats and work on having her watch you, leave it, that kind of stuff.  You could work on obedience at home in a quieter setting. Then try classes when she is less reactive and more engaged in public.

She needs to build her confidence maybe your class instructor can help with that if they are willing to go off script for her and you.

Some greyhounds come off the track and are ready to live in a home and so to speak “hit the ground running”.  Others spend a long time “waiting for the world to jump out at them at any moment”.  From what you have said she sound like she is waiting for the world to jump.

So be patient expose her to noise/new situations from a distance on walks and let her get used to it on her time.  Sometimes this takes a few day to a sew months but once she feels safe in her new world she will learn by leaps and bounds.

Hope this helps, some things you just can not rush.

If I can be of help just let me know.