Constantly looking at back end on walks—has anyone’s grey done this?

On walks, our  greyhound Skip will whip his head around and look at his hind end, as if someone had suddenly bit him or poked him with a pin. He does this sometimes 8 to 10 times per walk. He also seems to be showing some intolerance to exercising, panting more than what seems normal when we do walk and slowing down until he is trailing behind us. I am concerned that he might have some problem causing pain in his hind end.

Has anyone had a greyhound that did this? We have an appt. with his vet next week. Any thoughts on what might be going on would be most appreciated. He does play and run around the house and seems to have no issues while doing that. Thanks!

681CDBA8-D172-44AE-A87B-DA95A1718EA6.jpeg

Edited by Shaysmom
Typos
S.jpg

Nigel and Kibo both hate any sort of bugs...even teeny tiny ones... and are always whipping their heads around trying to catch them.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I’ve watched him from behind and don’t see any bugs or flies, but I suppose it could be. My husband thinks it is just a nervous tic. I worry that it is a sharp pain from some physical problem, but I tend to be a worry wart when it comes to his health. 

S.jpg

• 9 months later...

Wow- I’m just going through the threads and reading different topics...Our 3.5 year old grey, Nash does the EXACT same thing!! We’ve had him for almost 2 years- he did it constantly on walks for the longest time. He has grown out of it a little- but occasionally he will still do it. I can relate- but I still have no idea why he does it! 

Our greyhound does it to some extent, she repeatedly turns around, I’ve put it down to nerves, she does it more so if people are behind her, mainly males.

I’ve started to carry her treats with me and when she turns I offer her a treat and this completely takes her mind of it, worked so far.