Who Got Outside But Won’T Come In

Guest Leximom

Guest Leximom

I have had my shy Greyhound for 4 months. Sometimes she whines at the door but wont come in. She will come in if I ask her if she wants to go for a walk, but I dont want to do this late at night. I have tried encouraging her to come in, food in her dish, (she wont come to me for treats), and turning the lights all off at night and going upstairs. Last night, she came in after 45 minutes when I went into the garage, opened the garage door, and stayed there until after she went into her crate. Doorways seem to make her nervous. What can I do?

One of mine is currently going through a bit of this. She had a "trauma" (she got accidently bumped into the door jamb by her brother!) and now will knot come though any doorways unless it's completely free of people and dogs! :rolleyes: If she won't take treats from you to be lured inside, you need to go out and get her. Either leash walk her for times when you need her to be quick, or let her decide when to come in. When she comes to you in the yard, have a nice quiet party with a *REALLY YUMMY* treat - her favorite thing. Up the treat value to close to maximum - roasted chicken, cheese, smelly liver treats, canned food on a spoon -whatever is the best thing ever for her. Same when she comes in on her own. Really reward her for doing what you want and ignore the behavior you don't want.

And give her some time and patienc. It can take some dogs many months to work through issues like these in their new homes.

Good luck! And Welcome!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest Leximom

Thanks for your suggestions! When I go outside, she runs away when she is behaving like this. I will try canned food on a spoon or in her dish. Usually she is fine at night and hates when I walk her in the yard on leash, which is the only place I will go with her at night. I will also put her leash on when I let her out at night in case she does this, so I have something to grab onto.

• 3 weeks later...

What type of flooring is inside at the doorway?

Is it well lit so she can see clearly at night?

If hard surface floors, it helps a lot to place cheap runner rugs (and/or area rugs) on her indoor pathways, so she'll feel more secure walking inside her home.

Also very important to place rubber rug gripper mats underneath the rugs to ensure rugs won't slide out from under her.

(Many Greyhounds have had very serious slips/falls on hard floors.)

Are their any stairs near the doorway that might be making her nervous (assuming she's newly learning stairs)?

High value meat treats could begin to help more if you're able to gain her trust indoors first by gently tossing treats near her from afar (human turns own eyes and body away to help her feel less nervous). Eventually, she may accept treats from your hand. Thereafter, you could play hide and seek games inside (on securely carpeted floors) while practicing calling her "name + come" recall. Human hides, then hound seeks person. (Humans should not run/chase after a dog, even in indoor play. If hound were ever to accidentally escape, a hound's parent needs hound to come towards them vs.running away from their human.) Humans = good things. :)

If you leash her for potty outings at night (or when pressed for time), connecting two leashes (to extend length), plus turning your body away from her may help her feel a little more privacy to freely eliminate in your yard. Good luck. :)

Are you standing near the door where she can see you? Sometimes that bugs them.

Otherwise, I would keep her on leash with you attached to one end. I had to leash-walk one of mine in the fenced yard for quite awhile, until I was sure she would come in when asked. It was annoying for both of us :lol but it prevented those kinds of escapades.

FWIW, I use two different commands for "Come!" (Come!) and "come back in the house" (In-in, please!).

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.