Tail Amputation....healing

About a month ago, we had a mishap with Phoebe. Her tail was caught in the window of our truck, as DH was putting the window up. Needless to say, much screaming ensued (from Phoebe and from me as well!), and to make a long story short, she had to have the tip of her tail amputated. :(

Since then, we've kept it bandaged, and have done some laser treatments, as well as using the Assisi Loop to stimulate healing. I know this could be a lengthy process. :(

Of course, changing the bandage is always a challenge, since I'm trying to put a square piece of nonstick gauze over the end of her tail. So far, we've done it, though it's not pretty.

My question is this--has anyone used finger cots in a bandaged tail tip? To me, they look like a little 'condom', and I'm wondering if this might help to hold the non-stick pad in place.

Anyone?

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

This sounds like a perfect DIY! Good ingenuity! Not sure though that it would stay on if she wags her tail, although I suspect you could vet wrap the finger cot to the tail. Sounds like it could work for sure. Gentle skritches to Phoebe.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Oh it would be another layer. Thinking itd hold the nonstick pad in place till I wrapped the cotton padding and vet wrap around it and got that taped in place. Im sure itd never stay in place without all that!

Edited by rascalsmom

1/4 inch pipe insulation worked for us as a bandage cover. Tape the tail and then tape the insulation to the taped tail. The bottom is open which allows air to get thru. It is a long process. We kept out girl bandaged for 6 weeks.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I got the finger cots today. I found some that were cotton and elastic as opposed to vinyl, but they aren't going to work. They just aren't big enough around. :( I may give it a shot, but I doubt they'll work, as they are about big enough for my pinky finger.

May look into pipe insulation.