Toenail Trauma

Roo

Despite the non-slip runners I have all over my floor, Tessa managed to wipe out, taking two runners with her and banging into her crate. She's surprisingly uninjured (I was expecting skin tears or soreness, but nothing!) except for one toenail that's a bit bloody around the base.

Should I do anything? The toenail itself is a little discolored. The blood around the base of the nail is dry and it doesn't seem to be actively bleeding. She's not licking it or bothering it (or seeming bothered by it). Should I just wait and see? I'm assuming she'll lose the nail (but I doubt that'll slow her down!).

Photos just cause:

tumblr_p1fozwJris1s3xj43o1_540.jpg

Mom of bridge babies Regis and Dusty.

Wrote a book about shelter dogs!

I sell things on Etsy!

I'd just keep an eye on it, make sure it doesn't swell up or ooze anything nasty.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'd leave it, but if she starts to mess with it or appears to be bothered, try a soak in warm water with Epsom salts. (You can soak a washcloth in the warm water, put the cloth into a Zip-loc bag, then put her foot in the bag while she's lying down. It generally feels good, so she may tolerate it for a while.)

But she might not lose the nail. Ever bent a nail way back--enough to make you yell and maybe create a white line across the nail? But you don't usually lose the nail, and the soreness goes away.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Thanks - I'll just keep an eye on it! So far it's about the same, and she's walking just fine and doing her little zooms and not licking it.

But she might not lose the nail. Ever bent a nail way back--enough to make you yell and maybe create a white line across the nail? But you don't usually lose the nail, and the soreness goes away.

Ugh, ouch, yes. That is quite unpleasant. Hopefully she won't lose her nail like I didn't lose my nails!

Mom of bridge babies Regis and Dusty.

Wrote a book about shelter dogs!

I sell things on Etsy!

Sounds like she just banged the nailbed. The discoloration in the nail you are seeing is likely just bruising. Turbo used to do that a lot and he never lost a nail over it. Do keep an eye on it for any redness, swelling or oozing though :)

Edited by turbotaina

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire