Sudden Accidents In House

Guest Neurobio7

Guest Neurobio7

Hello all,

I have a 7 year old grey that previously had 1 accident in 5 years. In the last month he has had urinated 3 times and defecated once in the house. He hasn't had any real big changes to his life in the last few months. He has to stay in a big gated room in the house during the day because we nanny a few toddlers for teachers. The room has no doors and he has open views to all rooms. He has gone in a few different places in the room, but I came to the conclusion that this may be a bigger problem when he first defecated and then urinated right next to his bed.

He used to go 8-10 hours without going outside, no problem. Now 4 hours seems to be a stretch. He doesn't drink a lot of water and his urine has started to kill the grass (dead circle spots). I made a vet appointment but I was wondering if anyone has encountered this with their older greyhound?

Thanks.

Vet check for a urinary tract infection.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

"He hasn't had any real big changes to his life in the last few months. He has to stay in a big gated room in the house during the day because we nanny a few toddlers for teachers."

Is the nanny gig new, or something he was already used to long before his accidents began? If it is new, and if there is no medical issue, I would guess he is stressed by the toddlers being in the house and that may be triggering his accidents.

Rob
Logan (April 7, 2010 - July 9, 2023) - LoganMaxicon15K.jpg - Max (August 4, 2004 - January 11, 2018)

7 really isn't old.

My dog would lose his mind if there were toddlers in the house.

I agree, vet visit first. Worry about everything else later. You actually want it to be medical--way easier to fix!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Neurobio7

Thanks for the replies. We have a 2 year old and he has been around toddlers for some time, so the noise shouldn't be new. He usually sleeps all day but occasionally gets up and whines. We just returned from the vet and they are performing a full blood panel for senior dogs and a urine test. They did remark that the urine was green, not sure what this means. He's also lost a fair bit of weight.

Edited by Neurobio7