Opinions On Diet Plan?

Guest MsBee

Guest MsBee

So I am not getting a retired racer like I'd originally intended due to my need for a younger dog for SD training. My breeder feeds a mixed diet of kibble and raw, and I would like to continue this practice with my puppy. I'll turn to her for guidance, obviously, but I'm curious for more input regarding the diet plan I'm considering. This is mostly an adult diet, though I could scale it down and adjust for a puppy. This also assumes that my male pup will mature at about 75lbs (sire is 80ish lbs). My rough plan, because if I think too hard about it, I overthink things:

~4 lbs of chicken per week in the form of a whole bird cut into ~1lb meals

~2 lbs of turkey necks per week in the form of ~1 lb meals

~1 lbs of ground beef per week

1 or 2 eggs per day

1 or 2 tablespoons of whole fat greek yogurt per day

1/2 13.2oz can of wet dog food per day (Nature's Variety -- feeding guide recommends 41.5oz for 75lb adult if fed as 100% of diet)

1 1/2 cups of kibble per day (Nature's Variety -- feeding guide recommends 3 3/8

cups for 75lb adult if fed as 100% of diet)

Anything else I should add? I would likely adjust the amount of wet and/or kibble to maintain ideal weight, rather than the raw foods. Portions of everything would be adjusted proportionally for a puppy. Breeder recommends feeding egg, cottage cheese, yogurt, kibble (Blue Buffalo or Fromms, but I prefer NV), canned dog food, some canned mackerel, and a multi-vitamin.

Personally, I'd stick primarily to a good puppy food and use the raw as supplemental until fully grown. I know that lots of experienced raw feeders start right from the beginning, but it makes me a little uncomfortable. Balanced nutrition is never more important than during growth and the damage done by imbalance at that time can be irreversible. I don't have a problem with raw for an adult if it is well formulated, but puppies make me nervous. I'd wait until 15 months or so before going to a diet that is made up of a significant portion of raw.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

If you have to give your dog a multi vitamin, it means their diet is not nutritionally complete.

Had dogs my entire life. Parents had dogs their entire lives. Grandparents had dogs their entire lives. Never once given any dog a vitamin. Never had a dog die a premature death either.

I don't know why you'd want to complicate things like that. But to each their own.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck