Pancreatitis- Is Raw Safe?

I fed my very first dog on raw because she had pancreatitis and wasn't thriving too well on the low fat kibble (dry skin and fur, sensitive tummy, weekly vomiting, etc.). She did amazing on it...it literally changed her health around 100% and we never had another food issue for the rest of her life. It just seemed to be way more digestible for her.

Usually, the diets recommended for pancreatitis have a higher amount of veggie and starch content in them. The diet we used was about 50% meat (bones, organs, included), 25% veggie, and 25% starch (usually sweet potato or barley). Once she was used to it, we did increase the meat content. Obviously stick with lean meats, and remove skin from chicken, etc. (raw does not have to be any higher in fat than other diets!!)

I wouldn't recommend raw for a dog who is just recovering from a bad attack, but since your dog is now recovered, it may be fine.

Considering my teenage Greyhounds' sensitive systems, I would not risk feeding raw meats. (The oldest is age 15.)

Have you thought about safely cooking the raw meat (without any toxic spices)?

If interested, the following professional veterinary organizations discourage feeding raw meat to dogs.

Dangerous organisms in raw meat that are shed in dogs' stools can survive for weeks or longer in the environment.

1. American Veterinary Medical Association

2. The American Animal Hospital Association

3. American College of Veterinary Nutritionists

4. National Association of State Public Health Veterinarians

5. U.S. Center for Disease Control and Prevention

6. U.S. Food and Drug Administration

Etc...

My whippet got pancreatitis (lamb is very fatty) but continued on raw and never had another bout. I never feed lamb any more either for anyone. All my seniors have embraced the raw diet, too. I feed my current one a ground mix for breakfast and whatever they are having for dinner - that works well. My last senior didn't have any teeth so I ground all his food. He did well, too.

Good luck!

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow