Anxiety Advice

Guest Monstersmama

Guest Monstersmama

I've had my greyhound, monster, for about 5 months now. He has adapted fairly well, except it seems he has attached himself to me too closely. His anxiety has started to be a problem. It should be noted that he has a lot of energy, I take him on two short runs a day, generally about 4 miles in all and at least once a week we go to the dog park for an hour. He also wears an adaptil collar to calm him down.

Today, Monster and I went to get lunch with a friend (that monster likes and knows well). I left to go use the restroom and monster had an absolute freak out. He jumped and did everything but knock over the table. In the process he broke one of his toenails off completely. An $150 emergency vet bill later I'm at a loss about what to do with his anxiety.

The emergency vet recommended an interactive toy, but I'm concerned that's gonna be enough. If anyone has any recommendations I'm all ears.

Sometimes separation anxiety is due to being left alone without any companionship. Sometimes it's being separate from a particular person or dog. You can do alone training with him, just like you would do if he was anxious being left in the house.

If he's actually fine when you go to work, you may need to adapt it a bit with help from a friend. Take him to a house he knows well with another person he's comfortable with. Sit around until he's settled and relaxed. Get up quietly and leave the room, and immediately come back in. Do this over and over until he doesn't react. Then gradually extend the time you leave and he's relaxed. If he ever becomes anxious, go back a step time-wise.

Interactive puzzles *can* help but only if they are absorbing enough. Same with Kongs or any other distraction technique. If all else fails, you may need to talk with your vet about some Rx help while you continue your counter conditioning/alone training.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly